Tech 21 Evo Check protective phone case for Google Pixel XL review: First Pixel case we've seen
Nope. Still ugly.
- Quite thick
- Phone is still ugly
If you're spending that much on a phone it's worth looking after it. This case is quite thick but we're confident it will offer significant impact protection from some angles.
Price$ 45.00 (AUD)
We like the Google Pixel XL phone. But it’s ugly. And if you’re spending that much on a phone then you should probably protect it.
The first case we've seen is the Evo Check case which provides a thick, flexible bumper around the sides of the phone and which slightly protrudes ahead of the screen and covers the back. The actual material is called FlexShock and it’s designed to harden on impact. Tech 21 says it will protect the phone against drops of 2m – something we’re not prepared to test. However, this material does have a history and you can read more about it here.
Tech 21 boasts that the material is much thinner than cases that provide similar levels of protection and this may be true. However, it does make the Pixel XL feel significantly wider and phablety – we had to use a bit more effort to curve our fingers round onto the screen.
The rear of the case has a ‘weaved’ design effect but at the end of the day you can’t polish a turd and it makes the dull-looking Pixel look even more like a brick. The cutaways which expose the ports and camera aren’t subtle either – the phone case equivalent of being hewn by an axe – and they draw a bit more attention to the Pixel’s unsubtle vents at the bottom.
Nonetheless, this case is more about protection than anything else and it’s thick enough to convince us that it will offer that. It comes in black or clear and costs $45.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTLevel 3 Application Support EngineerQLD
- FTSr SQL Developer/Data Migration SpecialistOther
- CCService Management SpecialistNSW
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsOther
- FTGraduate Inside Sales Consultant - SMSF SolutionsOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceSA
- FTFront End Developer (Urgent)Other
- TPWordPress DeveloperVIC
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTSenior System AdministratorVIC
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTReporting Consultant with AlteryxOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst with Student Management SystemOther
- FTSenior Unica DeveloperOther
- FTIT Senior Change AnalystVIC
- TPProgram Manager - Managed ServicesQLD
- CCSOC AnalystVIC
- CCTRIM Support OfficerWA
- FTBiztalk DeveloperSA
- FTProject ManagerSA
- CCDigital Business AnalystACT