Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 mobile phone
Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 review: A 3G mobile phone specifically targeted at seniors and older Australians
- Large buttons
- Easy to use
- Good call quality
- Glossy finish is a fingerprint magnet
Telstra's EasyTouch Discovery 3 is a sensible option for those who just want basic mobile phone functions without confusing bells and whistles. However, we think it's a little too expensive given its limited capabilities.
Price$ 240.00 (AUD)
A flip phone with large buttons may look like a design from yesteryear but Telstra's EasyTouch Discovery 3 is in fact brand new. It's a 3G mobile phone specifically marketed at seniors and older Australians. Although we feel it's a little expensive, the EasyTouch Discovery 3 is a good option for those who just want basic functions.
Telstra claims it worked on the design of the EasyTouch Discovery 3 for over six months, with the main focus being a simple menu for ease of use. It also put plenty of work into the physical design — the end result is a simple yet attractive case, highlighted by a gloss black finish on the front and a soft, rubber style finish on the back. The glossy finish does attract plenty of fingerprints, so you'll be constantly wiping it to keep it clean.
The Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 feels like a pretty well constructed phone despite being made of plastic. The flip mechanism is solid and doesn't rattle or wobble and there are no creaks in the plastic when pressure is applied. On the left you'll find external volume controls, while a camera button and a standard micro-USB charging port (concealed by a plastic flap) are on the right.
Flipping open the phone reveals a bright, 2.4in colour screen and extra large buttons below it. The buttons are easy to press, provide good tactility and sound audible feedback (a voice reads the numbers out loud when the keys are pressed) to aid hearing impaired users. The screen displays large fonts, has surprisingly good viewing angles and is easy to see in sunlight, making the EasyTouch Discovery 3 very pleasing to use.
The menu of the Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 is a simple list that is accessed by pressing the large OK button. A colourful icon and and large text describing each menu function aids the user experience and these descriptions are found in all sub menus. We particularly appreciated the ability to view missed calls and new messages by flipping opening the phone — there is no need to browse through the menu.
The Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 has excellent voice quality during phone calls. The speaker is clear and of a good quality, and the volume is louder than most other mobile phones we've reviewed. Telstra has given the phone a Blue Tick rating, which means it should deliver enhanced reception and coverage in regional and rural areas of Australia, and it is also compatible with most T-Coil hearing aids.
The Telstra EasyCall 2 is a relatively basic mobile phone but it still has a few extra features. Bluetooth connectivity means you can pair the phone with a portable speaker or wireless headset, and there's also a basic 3-megapixel camera, an MP3 player, hands-free speakerphone capability and a microSD card slot for extra storage. The EasyTouch Discovery 3 will send and receive MMS messages, has predictive text input for typing messages and comes with an FM radio, an alarm, calendar, stopwatch, calculator, world clock and a unit converter.
The Telstra Easy Touch Discovery 3 is available now for $240 outright, or $0 upfront on a $20 Telstra plan.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Permanent PositionQLD
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- FTNetwork Support EngineerSA
- FTSystems Support ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- CCInfrastructure Specialist - Pharmaceutical IndustryVIC
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- CCSupply Master Data Analyst - Procurement & Supply Chain - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTChange Analyst, Transformation, SAPOther
- FTUtilities Contract Administrator - $34phOther
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTChange Analyst, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCData ModellerACT
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCSenior Data governance consultantVIC