Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 mobile phone
Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 review: A 3G mobile phone specifically targeted at seniors and older Australians
- Large buttons
- Easy to use
- Good call quality
- Glossy finish is a fingerprint magnet
Telstra's EasyTouch Discovery 3 is a sensible option for those who just want basic mobile phone functions without confusing bells and whistles. However, we think it's a little too expensive given its limited capabilities.
Price$ 240.00 (AUD)
A flip phone with large buttons may look like a design from yesteryear but Telstra's EasyTouch Discovery 3 is in fact brand new. It's a 3G mobile phone specifically marketed at seniors and older Australians. Although we feel it's a little expensive, the EasyTouch Discovery 3 is a good option for those who just want basic functions.
Telstra claims it worked on the design of the EasyTouch Discovery 3 for over six months, with the main focus being a simple menu for ease of use. It also put plenty of work into the physical design — the end result is a simple yet attractive case, highlighted by a gloss black finish on the front and a soft, rubber style finish on the back. The glossy finish does attract plenty of fingerprints, so you'll be constantly wiping it to keep it clean.
The Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 feels like a pretty well constructed phone despite being made of plastic. The flip mechanism is solid and doesn't rattle or wobble and there are no creaks in the plastic when pressure is applied. On the left you'll find external volume controls, while a camera button and a standard micro-USB charging port (concealed by a plastic flap) are on the right.
Flipping open the phone reveals a bright, 2.4in colour screen and extra large buttons below it. The buttons are easy to press, provide good tactility and sound audible feedback (a voice reads the numbers out loud when the keys are pressed) to aid hearing impaired users. The screen displays large fonts, has surprisingly good viewing angles and is easy to see in sunlight, making the EasyTouch Discovery 3 very pleasing to use.
The menu of the Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 is a simple list that is accessed by pressing the large OK button. A colourful icon and and large text describing each menu function aids the user experience and these descriptions are found in all sub menus. We particularly appreciated the ability to view missed calls and new messages by flipping opening the phone — there is no need to browse through the menu.
The Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 3 has excellent voice quality during phone calls. The speaker is clear and of a good quality, and the volume is louder than most other mobile phones we've reviewed. Telstra has given the phone a Blue Tick rating, which means it should deliver enhanced reception and coverage in regional and rural areas of Australia, and it is also compatible with most T-Coil hearing aids.
The Telstra EasyCall 2 is a relatively basic mobile phone but it still has a few extra features. Bluetooth connectivity means you can pair the phone with a portable speaker or wireless headset, and there's also a basic 3-megapixel camera, an MP3 player, hands-free speakerphone capability and a microSD card slot for extra storage. The EasyTouch Discovery 3 will send and receive MMS messages, has predictive text input for typing messages and comes with an FM radio, an alarm, calendar, stopwatch, calculator, world clock and a unit converter.
The Telstra Easy Touch Discovery 3 is available now for $240 outright, or $0 upfront on a $20 Telstra plan.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Co-ordinator / AdministratorOther
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro servicesOther
- CCProduct Owner - TelcoVIC
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- CCProject Coordinator - PMO / Telco Exp - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- TPDevOps EngineerQLD
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorWA
- FTMEAN Stack DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Testing/Technical WritingOther
- FTOracle DB & Python DeveloperVIC
- FTBackend Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Database AdministratorOther
- CCDynamics CRM Business AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- TPTest Analyst - CMSNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneOther
- TPBusiness Process AnalystNSW