Telstra Corporation F852
- Reasonable features list, memory card slot, full access to Next G content and services, solid user interface
- Internal display not great, proprietary headphone jack, flat keypad, no A2DP Bluetooth
The F852 is a solid but far from outstanding option. Its appeal lies in the fact that it can access the full range of Next G services and content on a relatively inexpensive plan.
Price$ 729.00 (AUD)
Telstra's latest Next G handset offers a 2-megapixel camera, a TransFlash card slot and a fully fledged media player. Although its design is far from outstanding, it should still appeal to those looking at a reasonably priced option to accessing Next G services.
Manufactured by ZTE, the HSDPA-capable F852 is a handset offered on a lower priced plan than many other similar featured Next G handsets. It's aimed at consumers switching to the Next G network for the first time, but aren't willing to pay a premium to do so.
Although it's far from an outstanding phone, the appeal of the F852 lies in the fact that it offers full use of Mobile Foxtel and BigPond services, including Sensis Search, BigPond Photos and WhereIs maps. We were impressed by broadband speeds, especially when streaming mobile TV; the F852 is speedy and didn't suffer from any noticeable lag while accessing any of the available data services.
Considering the kind of content the Next G network offers, the F852 is a little disappointing in delivering it. The internal display doesn't have a great viewing angle and isn't as crisp or clear as we hoped and the sound quality using the included headphones is below average. With no 3.5mm headphone jack nor A2DP stereo Bluetooth, there are no options for changing this.
The keypad and controls are solid, but their flat nature means they do require quite a firm press to activate. We managed solid, but not overly quick messaging speeds as the keys are not separated and quite close together. The F852 supports standard SMS, MMS and e-mail messaging, all with the standard T9 predictive text input.
Thankfully, the general user experience of the F852 is excellent. Colourful, animated main menu icons in a grid layout and a simple list format for submenus makes using this phone a breeze.
A 2-megapixel camera with 2x digital zoom and video recording is included, but the lack of flash is a sour point. Photos aren't ideal for anything more than a few happy snaps. An internal VGA camera is present to allow for video calling over the Next G network.
A TransFlash card slot allows up to 2GB of extra storage, though there is no card included in the sales package, which is disappointing. The F852 also boasts Bluetooth and USB connectivity, though the latter is proprietary rather than the standard mini-USB connection. Telstra offers the F852 on a post paid $20 Phone Plan over 24 months.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCOrganisational Change & Deployment SpecialistVIC
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTData Specialist (SSIS, CRM)ACT
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTAEM DeveloperOther
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - NetworkingOther
- FTJunior .NET DeveloperOther
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceACT
- FTProject Manager- Cloud -Federal GovernmentOther
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTPlanner - Network Planning and Strategy (Telco Environment)Other
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- TPJunior Project OfficerQLD
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- FTAnalyst Programmer - Contact Centre ApplicationsOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorSA