Tenebril GhostSurf 2006 Platinum
- Ease of use, Interface, Good features list
- Browser may need to be reconfigured
If you are looking for an easy to use security program for your Internet browser, look no further than GhostSurf.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
While we wouldn't for a minute want to imply that our readers peruse anything racier than the GoodGearGuide site when surfing the internet, that doesn't mean you want any old Tom, Dick or Harry to see your online habits. GhostSurf 2006 Platinum aims to soothe this and a number of other privacy concerns.
Once you've installed the program and gone through some enthusiastic requests for registration details, GhostSurf presents an intuitive interface with five options to tighten up your computer security. We really liked the useability of this program; even if you've never had much experience with these type of security programs you shouldn't have any trouble with GhostSurf.
The Privacy Control Center enables you to adjust the level of information given out by your PC while you browse the net. You can block cookies, encrypt data and root your connection through anonymous hubs so your IP address is hidden.
Be warned, however, that your browser will need to be reconfigured if it's Netscape or Firefox - IE and Opera users need not worry on this score - and our web connection appeared to slow down slightly on the top two privacy levels. A few pages even failed to load, claiming not to recognise our now-disguised browser.
Other options include AdArmor - a useful resource for blocking pop-ups, page resizings, website music and the like - and SpyCatcher, an antispyware facility that can be instructed to scan your PC at regular intervals.
Personal Data Vault provides password-protected storage for sensitive data and, finally, the excellent TracksCleaner enables you to wipe away traces of your surfing, as well as any files you may wish to see the back of. It offers a variety of wiping strengths, from the merely adequate to military-grade paranoia.
Tenebril's GhostSurf 2006 Platinum offers peace of mind and ease of use at a reasonable price - just remember that privacy comes at a slight cost in surfing convenience.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Beats Fit Pro review: Better than AirPods Pro
- 2 iPhone 13 mini review: About as good as small phones get
- 3 14-inch MacBook Pro (M1 Pro) review: Life just keeps getting better for Mac users
- 4 LG Gram 17 (2021) review: Super lightweight and primed for productivity
- 5 Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio review: Windows 11’s flagship feels like the future
Latest News Articles
- USB Overdrive review: Fix your Mac’s problems with a mouse, trackball, or other input device
- Confirmed: Your passwords still suck
- Microsoft Edge adds quick password updates, efficiency mode
- Shop smarter with Microsoft Edge’s helpful new price change alerts
- Windows Media Player is getting a long-overdue upgrade
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Best SIM-only Cyber Monday iPhone plans in Australia in 2021
- Best Cyber Monday tech deals: Save big on TVs, Dyson Vacuums and more!
- Pixel 6: Cheapest way to get it this Black Friday
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?