TheBuzz Corp BuzzBox
An innovative way to tap into cheaper phone calls
- Simple to set up, no Internet connection required, no fixed contract required, keeps your regular telephone number, cheaper than landline calls
- Prices not as competitive as regular VoIP offerings, volume could be improved
If you have a broadband Internet connection at home, then the BuzzBox won't be cheaper than a VoIP service. For those without broadband it may be worthy of a look.
Price$ 34.95 (AUD)
A device that enables users to make VoIP calls without any need for an Internet connection, the BuzzBox is an innovative way to get cheaper phone calls. In addition to being easy to set up, the BuzzBox allows you to keep your current telephone number.
Basically a small black box that connects to your telephone and wall-socket, the BuzzBox requires connection to AC power, using the supplied adapter. Installing it is as simple as can be &8212; simply plug your phone into the BuzzBox and connect the box to your wall socket and that's it. A green status light shows when the unit is powered on and connected, meaning you are ready to make phone calls.
The BuzzBox works by communicating with an Internet server (dubbed the BuzzBridge) each time a user makes a call. The server then makes the VoIP call in the background, meaning there is no need for an Internet connection at home to use the service. The BuzzBox is definitely appealing for those without access to broadband Internet in their home — in particular, those in rural areas.
During testing, the BuzzBox worked adequately, though we did note that volume isn't as loud as a regular public switched telephone network (PTSN) call. BuzzCorp states that moving the BuzzBox away from a cordless phone base may increase volume; this was the case for us. Quality of service (QoS) obviously isn't as good as a PSTN call, but we didn't experience too many issues when testing the service at home.
When dialling out, the BuzzBox acts like a regular landline phone, but it can take up to five seconds longer to establish the call. During this time, users receive a message saying "you are being buzzed through", before the call is dialled.
Perhaps one of the BuzzBox's best features is that users aren't required to sign a long-term contract to connect. You simply pay for the actual box and connect to either a Super or Ultimate plans, which can be cancelled at any time for no extra cost.
The downside is that the Buzz service isn't as cheap as most dedicated VoIP plans, though we really think that BuzzCorp is competing with regular telecommunications carriers like Optus and Telstra rather than VoIP carriers. Although there is no monthly service fee, most STD and international calls carry a flag fall; the rate of 17.5 cents for a local call isn't a bargain in our opinion.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Netgear
- CES 2018: D-Link Demonstrates New Connected Innovations
- Razer Partners With Ignition Design Labs on Gaming-Grade Wi-Fi
- Netgear target small businesses with Orbi Pro
- D-Link Launches Their Fastest-Ever NBN AC5300 MU-MIMO Modem Router
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTProject Manager | 12mth ContractOther
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect- SAP S/4 HANA - Orange NSWOther
- FTMid / Senior Level Functional Banking ConsultantsOther
- CCNetwork Engineer - Aruba/PaloAltoWA
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTTelecom Engineer - Network VoiceOther
- FTProgram ManagerSA
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTPHP DeveloperOther
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- FTService Desk OfficerSA
- CCSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCJava Developers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTSalesforce Consultant - SMEVIC
- TPPHP and PL/SQL SupportNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Administrator - not for profit organisationQLD
- TPData AnalystQLD
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTUX Design LeadOther
- FTSenior AEM ConsultantACT