THQ Monster House
Games which are based on movie licenses, especially those aimed at children, are usually slapped together affairs that feature poor production values and insultingly simple gameplay.
- Takes advantage of the DS' features
- Weak audio
Monster House DS won't appeal to gamers who are accustomed to more intricate fare like Resident Evil but anyone who still feels a little tingle down their spine whenever they walk past the run-down old house on the corner will enjoy
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Games which are based on movie licenses, especially those aimed at children, are usually slapped together affairs that feature poor production values and insultingly simple gameplay. Monster House, based on the recently released Sony Pictures movie of the same name, manages to rise about this trend, feeling more like a legitimate game rather than a rushed tie-in.
Developer A2M should be commended for actually taking advantage of the DS' unique features for this version of the game. Rather than pumping out a simplistic port, Monster House DS supports both the stylus and the dual-screens resulting in a control scheme that is both intuitive--you use the directional pad to move and the stylus to shoot--and fun.
The graphics may disappoint wide-eyed fans who were wowed by the buttery smooth visuals of the movie but they get the job done. The game's audio is fairly weak, consisting mainly of a looping soundtrack of creepy atmospheric music and little else. There is also fair amount of repetition as the game never really strays from the "enter room and shoot the monsters" formula but there is enough action here to keep most junior gamers happy. And the fact that you're armed with water guns which have to pump up with the stylus only adds to the juvenile fun.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement Specialist - MELBOURNEQLD
- FTChange Manager, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast HospitalQLD
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- TPDigital StategistACT
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTLinux Systems EngineerOther
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- FTSolution Designer - WealthOther
- TPTest Automation EngineerQLD
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- FTBusiness AnalaystSA
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT