THQ MX Vs. ATV Untamed
- Great online play, sheer wealth of modes ensure lasting value
- Handling isn't dynamic to terrain, bland graphics, unacceptable loading times
Untamed is a pup past its prime. The multiplayer mode holds potential overall but the uninspired off-road racing and bland presentation means you should only consider it if you're a die-hard franchise fan or an off-road racing junkie.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
MX vs. ATV Untamed proves that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. The latest instalment of the dirt-worn racing series throws every conceivable motorbike, four-wheeler, and buggy together in an attempt to capture the genre's pole position. Unfortunately, Untamed doesn't do anything particularly well choosing ease of play and a glut of content over innovation and superior quality.
Mud In Your Eye
On the plus side, the game is instantly accessible thanks to simple controls and forgiving handling. You'll find it easy to jump right into the driver's seat of the large roster of vehicles and take off across the many venues. There's an impressive list of events for you to tackle, as well, including: super-cross, freestyle, open-cross, super-moto, endurocross, mini-moto, and way-point runs.
Unfortunately, Untamed suffers from a lot of problems. The first is that the terrain exerts little influence on your handling, which makes the game easy to play but robs you of a sense of challenge and realism. Any sense of difficultly comes from the computer controlled racers who will give you a run for your money at the higher difficulty settings and the freestyle trick contests, which suffer from finicky button combos and landings.
Bumper To Bumper
Sadly, these issues carry over to the multiplayer modes. Untamed does, however, soundly beat back competing racers in terms of options: full split-screen, system link, and online play via Xbox Live across any of the events featured in the single player game. It truly is the game's one bright point.
Untamed also lets you customise your vehicles and riders, but it's entirely cosmetic since equipment has no impact on performance; this means you'll spend more time playing dress-up than anything. While it's a nice touch, we would have preferred it if they focused on letting you actually affect your vehicle's performance through upgrades and tweaks.
The game also suffers from some presentation issues. There are long loading times and while the practice arena that they dump you into is a novel approach, running circles inside an empty indoor arena while waiting for a race to start is not our idea of fun. The graphics also underwhelm, with a last-gen flavour that falls far below the standard set by marquee titles Sega Rally Revo and MotorStorm. There's little variation in terrain, vehicles don't leave persistent tracks in the mud, and a plastic sheen covers nearly everything.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Biz Talk DeveloperACT
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- FTApplication Packaging EngineerOther
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- TPSenior Developer/Technical AnalystNSW
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTProject Manager -Accommodation Program-Fit-out, RelocationOther
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTSharepoint DeveloperOther
- FTAsset and Configuration ManagerSA
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- TPieMR Program Director - Gold CoastQLD
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTApplication Support SpecialistVIC
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- CCInfrastructure Specialist - Pharmaceutical IndustryVIC
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC