THQ Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command
- Makes good use of the Warhammer 40k franchise, fun and engaging turn-based action
- Missions can be hard, the pace of the game can slow to a crawl at points
For Warhammer 40K fans, this game's a no-brainer but even if you're unfamiliar with the franchise, Squad Command is a quality turn-based strategy game that deserves serious consideration.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Whether you're new to the Warhammer 40K universe or a hardcore vet, you owe it to yourself to check out Squad Command. This turn-based strategy game is a great addition to the franchise and should tide you over until the inevitable release of Dawn of War 2.
Step by step
Squad Command plays out far differently than Dawn of War and its many expansion packs. It's a turn-based affair, so the battles are more methodical and slower paced. You start out with a squad of various units which range from standard Space Marines to vehicles; every unit possesses a set number of action points that they expend each turn to perform actions like movement and attacks.
Most levels require you to completely destroy every single enemy unit though there are some varied objectives like blowing up specific targets. The graphics are a little muddy but they get the job done and the controls are pretty slick, though panning around the levels can be a bit of a chore.
With the lights out...
We also didn't like the mission difficulty, which can be pretty brutal -- be prepared to replay missions often. There's also a thick fog of war that covers the playing field and you constantly come under attack from hidden foes, which can slow the pace of the game down. Despite this frustration, however, we found ourselves wanting to return to the game over and over again.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Ready for some hunting simulation?
- Sonic the Hedgehog Update
- Total War spins off Saga series focused on smaller 'powder-keg' moments in history
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- CCPEGA Developers, Architects and Integrators - multiple requirementsNSW
- CCAgile Delivery SpecialistACT
- CCDigital Engineering ManagerNSW
- TPSAP ABAP ConsultantWA
- CCSenior CoolGen DeveloperACT
- CCVCE EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Process Transition ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business Consultant - FinanceQLD
- FTChief Information OfficerACT
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)VIC
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCProject Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Risk Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTOffice Manager / PAOther
- FTVesting and Decommissioning OfficerOther
- FTProject Finance / Finance Coordinator (NSW Government)Other
- FTL&D Consultant - Wealth ManagementOther
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerNSW