So, what do I want out of my next laptop and what must it include?
Tivoli Audio PAL portable radio
This portable radio may be expensive, but it sounds great
- Great tuner, good sound quality and precise adjustment
The Tivoli Audio PAL is a portable radio that has a great tuner, a weather-resistant shell and good sound quality. Designed for audiophiles on the go, it fills a very specific niche in the market.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Tivoli Audio PAL is a portable AM/FM radio with an auxiliary input for connecting a portable media player. It's expensive, but if you've got a few dollars to spare and are looking for a Christmas present for an audiophile pal, give this radio some thought.
It's a weatherproof radio, so it's a good choice for a picnic or beach visit, and the sound is clear and musical.
The Tivoli Audio PAL has a similar design and control scheme to the Model One. A single full-range, 2.5in speaker driver sits at the bottom of the cabinet, accompanied by a volume control, AM/FM switch and geared tuning dial. Our test unit came in a rubberised matte blue finish but the PAL is available in a wide variety of colours, ranging from chrome to pink to lime green.
The Tivoli Audio PAL is weather-sealed, and its 16 hour battery life means it will survive an extra-long picnic lunch at the beach. It's well constructed and sturdy, so we think it will stand up to a bit of rough treatment if necessary. The rear connectors — a DC power jack, headphone port and line in — are surrounded by rubber caps to guarantee protection from the elements.
Once tuned into a station, FM radio is utterly static- and distortion-free. It's some of the clearest FM reception we've heard.
Sound quality is a step down from the Model One, but that's to be expected given the portable nature of the Tivoli Audio PAL. The 2.5in driver handles mid-range notes wonderfully, with great detail audible at moderate volume levels. Treble is also clear, but there's an early roll-off in higher frequencies that can sometimes leave audio feeling muffled. There's a very small amount of mid-bass accompaniment at higher volume levels — this adds a warm, room-filling element to the Tivoli Audio PAL's sound. Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- 2 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 3 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 4 Sony Xperia XA2 review: One last hurrah for OmniBalance
- 5 Fitbit Versa review: New look, better price, same limits
Latest News Articles
- Bang & Olufsen announces release date for AirPlay 2
- Sonos introduce cheaper, smarter Sonos Beam soundbar
- Computex 2018: ASUS mesh router with built-in Alexa smart speaker confirmed for Australia
- WWDC 2018: Apple TV 4K gets new features and screensavers with tvOS 12
- Apple update HomePod for Stereo Pairing & Multi-Room Audio via AirPlay
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?