Topaz Simplify is software that turns your photos into fine art.
- Can achieve a wide variety of effects
- Nothing of note
Topaz Simplify offers photographers a wide range of options for creative expression. The result is of a quality that pros can use, but the interface is easy enough for anyone to master.
Price$ 39.99 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Photography is an art, but there's something stirring about natural media, such as watercolour, oil painting or charcoal line drawing. If you want to turn your photos into painterly images that emulate natural media, you usually have two choices: programs like Corel Painter 11, which can require some drawing skill, or push-button filters that give you little or no creative control over the process.
Topaz Simplify ($40, 30-day free trial) widens the playing field by providing easy-to-use slider controls for creating one-of-a-kind art from your photos.
At the core of Topaz Simplify is the basic principle upon which all such programs operate: As you reduce the amount of photographic detail in a picture, it appears to become more like a painted canvas, with blocks of colour. Or, when using edge detection instead of simplification of detail, you can end up with what appears to be a line drawing.
Topaz Simplify has a tabbed interface with three main sections: Simplify, Adjust and Edges. The Simplify tab has seven different sliders that gives the user full control over just what details are removed and which ones are retained. The variety of effects you can get from playing with those sliders is quite large.
The Adjust Tab provides traditional brightness, contrast and saturation sliders, plus a Saturation Boost, which strengthens only the already strong colours. This makes for some interesting colour styling. The Edges Tab gives more control over edge detection than we have seen in much more expensive programs, including Photoshop.
By combining Simplify and Edges, or applying them separately, you can end up with cartoon-like images, abstracts, charcoal drawings, textured oil paintings, and all kinds of other art styles. When you like the settings you've used on a picture, you can add them to the handful of provided presets. In addition, you can import presets from the Topaz online community.
Besides being compatible with Photoshop-like programs, such as Elements and Irfanview, Topaz Simplify supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Photoshop, and will work with Photoshop's Smart Filter engine for non-destructive editing. If you download the trial version without registering, you won't be able to save your image. On registering, you'll receive a free trial licence, good for 30 days, which includes all the functionality of the program, including saving pictures.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTDelphi DeveloperOther
- CCDelivery Lead - Process Transformation (Six Sigma) - Telco in Pennant HIllsNSW
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - ContractOther
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- FTHadoop DevelopersOther
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - Government organisationVIC
- CCAutomation Anywhere developerQLD
- CCBusiness Intelligence SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- FTCloud Solution ArchitectOther
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPLead Solutions Architect - SAP HCMQLD
- FTIT Engagement PartnerOther
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCProject Manager - DeliveryNSW
- CCProject Manager x 2 (Infrastructure)NSW
- FTSenior Change Analyst, Governance & AssuranceOther
- FTSplunk EngineerACT
- FTSecurity System AnalystOther
- FTProject Manager- develop strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrndOther