Toshiba Libretto U100 (PLU10A-00900W)
- Tiny and light, powerful for its size
- Can be difficult to control pointer
The Libretto's miniature size and light weight will attract veterans of the road who want to travel without being encumbered.
Price$ 2,499.20 (AUD)
"That's just like a computer, only smaller!" a friend exclaimed when he spied the preproduction version of Toshiba's new Libretto U100 mini-notebook I was testing. About the size of a videocassette and weighing just over 900 grams, the Libretto is small in everything except power and performance.
The Libretto U100 features a 7.2" wide-screen LCD and an integrated LED backlight. The crisp, bright 1280 x 768-resolution screen supplies a luscious concentration of colours, but fonts and icons were so tiny I needed to put my glasses on--except they were on already.
The keyboard and touch-stick mouse are too small, as well, making even pointing and clicking hard. Fortunately, two USB ports are located on the side, so you can at least add on an external mouse.
Toshiba considers the unit's optical-drive dock optional, so you'll need to cough up even more if you want a multiformat DVD drive.
The device's battery life was about 2 hours, 20 minutes with a DVD playing and close to 3 hours, 30 minutes when the unit ran without the optical drive. The Libretto's 1.2GHz Intel Pentium M Ultra Low Voltage 753 processor and standard 512MB of DRAM provided enough oomph for looking at photos, cruising the Net and using Office apps. The 1.8" hard drive offers 60GB of storage.
Overall, the Libretto's miniature size and light weight will attract veterans of the road who want to travel without being encumbered. My advice: try out the keyboard and touch stick before you buy. If you can deal with them, you'll have an otherwise worthy and powerful portable PC.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Lenovo ThinkPad celebrates 25 years of cutting edge technology
- Crowdfunding campaign to bring wireless charging to the Macbook
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTProgram Communications SpecialistOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTICT TrainerOther
- FTJava DevelopersOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Automation TesterQLD
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCWorkforce Capacity Analyst - Contract with Large Telco in Pennant HillsNSW
- FTInnovation Coach, Lean Startup & Design Thinking approachOther
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- FTCommercial Loan Documentation SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperOther
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- CCSAS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD