- Powerful features, 160GB hard disk
- Steep learning curve, noisy fan, eight-hour recording limit
It's initially tricky to operate, but the RD-XS34 offers plenty of powerful features and is a gem once you've mastered it.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
For years we've heard about the death of the VCR. Hard disk and DVD recorders have been advancing quickly, but remain relatively complex to operate. The powerful RD-XS34 is no exception, but it's fantastic once you've mastered it.
The 43 x 6 x 33cm silver unit features a comprehensive range of outputs, including component, SCART, S-Video and composite, and it can also push sound through coax and optical connections. There's even a DV connector on the font panel. Image quality is outstanding.
The remote control features just about every button you could ask for, which makes it a little daunting at first. The learning curve is steep, but it becomes second nature after a while.
Setup is relatively straightforward, and the thick, comprehensive manual is well laid out. You'll certainly need it for a while as the device is much more complicated than a plain-Jane VCR. The 160GB hard disk offers up to 276 hours of recording time at lowest quality, but this is limited to chunks of eight hours, which may be a problem for those wanting to record events like the Olympic Games or cricket during summer. By default, the unit can record in Short Play (70 hours), Long Play (138 hours) or manual bit-rate modes.
The device offers most of the common features expected in a hard disk recorder, including the ability to time shift, pause live TV, and simultaneously record and play back footage. It ships with a few templates so you can archive recorded footage from the hard disk to DVD media and add in menus. The machine doesn't support DVD+R/RW media, but just about every other DVD disc is compatible, including DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM.
The internal fan wais quite noisy during operation. This would be no big deal if you were running the machine in a cabinet, but may be distracting if you were trying to watch quiet TV. The mirrored finish on the DVD tray is also prone to collecting fingerprints.
The RD-XS34 is best suited to those comfortable with technology, as it's difficult to exploit its wealth of features without referring to the manual.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTData Migration LeadOther
- FTNetwork Design EngineerOther
- CCIT Service Desk AnalystACT
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- FTPerformance TesterOther
- FTNode.js DeveloperNSW
- FTSnr Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTechnical Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Transformation LeadOther
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther
- FTInfrastructure/Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTCustomer Support OfficerSA
- FTChange and Business Deployment Specialist - $800 per dayOther
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- CCCerner Senior Applications Specialist - Brisbane basedNSW
- CCDynamics CRM Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Loyalty Program)Other
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FT.Net Developer - Multiple positions availableSA