The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY is a DVD upscaler that delivers great image quality.
- Very good at upscaling DVDs
- Only half the price of an entry-level Blu-ray player with built-in DVD upscaler, no analog 7.1-channel audio outputs
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY provides excellent DVD upscaling for high-definition TVs. However, make sure you're certain that you don't want to fork out a bit more for a Blu-ray player instead.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY upscales 480i/p standard DVDs and does so brilliantly. If you've got a large screen television, want to breathe some life into your DVD collection and are trying to avoid the Blu-ray leap, this device is well worth considering.
Once upon a time, DVD image quality was enough to blow everyone's socks off, but now Full HD LCD and plasma screens are becoming more popular and the format is beginning to show its age.
Fortunately, thanks to DVD upscalers built into many Blu-ray players like the LG BD300 ageing disc collections have been given a new lease on life. Although the picture quality is not as crystal-clear as Blu-ray titles, upscaling brings the number of artefacts and the level of image noise down to a more acceptable level on large high-resolution screens.
From the outside, the Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY looks like many other DVD players — a sleek black fascia with an integrated LCD screen and controls. But this unit is designed to take standard DVDs and improve the image produced to be suitable for screens with 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolutions.
In the fast-paced lobby scene of The Matrix, we noticed a vast improvement in the image quality on our 46in Sharp LC-46D85X LCD TV. Details that would have otherwise been hidden are brought out and image noise is kept to a minimum. Although the occasional artefact was visible and there was some sporadic jaggedness on edges, the image quality was excellent and the upscaling was clearly superior to that of the Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player.
The Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY is also capable of handling Dolby Digital and DTS-HD outputted in a bitstream format. Although it lacks both 5.1 and 7.1-channel analog outputs, the HDMI output can handle 7.1-channel surround sound and a digital optical out port capable of providing 5.1-channel sound is provided. Analog/stereo RCA connections are also provided, along with component video in/out and a coaxial audio port.
Although the Toshiba XD-E500-K-TY might have been a sensible purchase just a few months ago, Blu-ray player manufacturers have been falling over themselves trying to offer high-quality entry-level devices that are capable of upscaling DVDs. While this unit does the task slightly better than most, you should seriously consider purchasing a BD-player instead.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- AMD Ryzen and Threadripper CPUs get massive price drops ahead of Black Friday deals
- HPE pushes toward autonomous data center with InfoSight AI recommendation engine
- Amazon Kindle Oasis 2017 review: The ultimate ereader adds audiobooks and a waterproof case
- Dell XPS 13 (2017) review: Intel's 8th-gen CPU makes a great laptop even greater
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mighiest rigs
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- CCTest Analysts - agileACT
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- TPTest AnalystSA
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- CCKofax DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTLinux Systems EngineerOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTProject Manager- develop strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrndOther
- FTDevops Engineer X 2 positionsOther
- FTIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPContracting Specialist - Procurement AssociateNSW
- FTTest AnalystACT
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD