Ubisoft Assassin's Creed
- It features lifelike A.I., which really helps flesh out the expansive world; fluid play mechanics and a compelling narrative come together to form an outstanding gaming experience. Altair is as interesting and memorable a character as Ubisoft's other stars, Sam Fisher and The Prince of Persia.
- The world can feel a little <i>too</i> expansive at times; the gigantic environments can be overwhelming; fighting mechanics take practice to master.
The enormity of the game will probably turn off gamers expecting a fast-paced action title but remember that an assassin's greatest tool is patience. Approach this game with that frame of mind and you will be rewarded with one of the best gaming experiences around.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
After a weak showing at the past E3, many people were left to wonder if Assassin's Creed could live up to the developers' ambition and the media hype. The demo put on by producer Jade Raymond felt stilted and awkward and the game's premise didn't translate well. Many outlets proclaimed the game to be the biggest disappointment of the show and we were all left to wonder if the game's large, expansive world and complex control scheme, which both sounded great in theory, would actually translate into a cohesive and compelling gaming experience.
Well, it's amazing what can happen in a few months time. When the review builds of Assassin's Creed finally landed in our hands, we were sceptical and wary. But after spending some quality time with the game, we can safely say that Assassin's Creed lives up to the developers' lofty ambitions. So put your fears aside, gamers: Assassin's Creed is an extraordinary gaming experience that will definitely leave a lasting impression.
We did backflips over the game's heady mix of action and stealth. Keep reading to see why the game still haunts our thoughts.
There is no denying the quality and depth inherent in Assassin's Creed. It is a stellar addition to Ubisoft's already impressive portfolio and gives gamers yet another reason to be excited for the upcoming holidays!
Assassin's Creed is a fluid experience in which every individual element seamlessly works in harmony with the others. But the foundation of the entire gameplay experience lies in the fluid and intuitive control scheme. From walking around on the street to free running on the roof tops, the controls make it easy to manipulate Altair during his quests and that's a good thing as the game would have suffered dramatically had the developers not gotten such a firm handle on the controls.
The game's story is also a strong point and while we won't ruin any of the surprises, we will say that Assassin's Creed does a great job of weaving a deep and enjoyable narrative.
Needle in a haystack
The size of the game world is also immense but thankfully, it rarely feels overwhelming. After completing the tutorial level, which will take you a couple of hours, you are given a horse and sent out to the Kingdom; this area serves as the central hub that connects the three main cities of Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus. As you cross the land in pursuit of your assassination targets, you quickly get a sense of just how big the game world is.
Luckily there are tall towers placed around the world that you can scale, and when you reach the top, you can hit the Y button to swing the camera out; this gives you a sweeping view of the vista which reveals more of the map and helps make things feel manageable. You will also find the locations of informants who help lead you to your targets.
Speaking of which, the main assassinations quests themselves are repetitive in that you have to follow the same sequence of actions over and over again but what keeps these elements from getting stale is the lifelike A.I.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen Beosound Stage - Dolby Atmos Soundbar
Amazon Echo Dot with Clock (4th Gen)
Apple Watch Series 6
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G
LiTMUS LAB Dakota Side Table
Toys for Boys
Sony Playstation 5
Nakamichi Delta 100 3-Way Hi Fi Speaker System
Sony WF-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones
WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD
Theragun PRO Percussive Therapy Device
ASUS ROG, ACRONYM partner for Special Edition Zephyrus G14
Bose SoundLink Revolve Bluetooth Speaker
Garmin vívofit® jr. 2
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit for Nintendo Switch
Lego Mindstorms Robot Inventor
Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean 9000 Toothbrush
Fender Fullerton Ukele
MSI Modern 14
Fujiflim Instax Square SQ1
Kindle Paperwhite eReader (10th Gen)
Dickie Toy Remote Control Mega Crane Set
SunnyBunny Snowflakes 20 LED Solar Powered Fairy String
Teac 7 inch Swivel Screen Portable DVD Player
MSI GE66 Dragonshield Limited Edition
New line-up targeted at designers, creators, and professionals
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo Watch review: A masterclass in imitation
- 2 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 3 Google Pixel 4a review: The Goldilocks Google phone
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G review: Wrong Number
- 5 LG NANO99 NanoCell 8K TV review: Prestige at a price
Latest News Articles
- Prime Day 2020: Snag a PS4 Pro for $399
- Survey: Social distancing creates 762,000 new Australian gamers
- xCloud game streaming will come to iOS with a browser-based solution
- APC targets console and PC gamers with its Back-UPS Pro Gaming uninterruptible power supply
- You'll soon be able to stream Xbox games to your iPhone
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- iPhone 12 Pro review: The iPhone that’s future proof
- Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- Oppo Watch review: A masterclass in imitation
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?