New line-up targeted at designers, creators, and professionals
Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8
- Solid features
- Lacking some basic elements of video editing software
While MediaStudio Pro has many commendable features and an attractive price point, it’s let down by the basic operation of the underlying editing software.
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
Though unlikely to challenge leading video editors like Adobe's Premiere Pro or Sony's Vegas, Ulead's revamped MediaStudio Pro 8 has new features that will be extremely useful for video editors who need convenience more than performance.
Surprisingly for the price, MediaStudio Pro comes with extensive support for video and audio file types (including HDV and 24P), and includes full Dolby Surround Sound export out of the box (though AC3 audio import requires a plug-in). The interface has also been updated, with smart resizing, dockable windows and tabbed panes (like Premiere Pro), and key tools are given their own dedicated buttons above the timeline - rather than hard-to-grasp tool shortcuts and combination keys.
The timeline can handle as many tracks as you'd care to throw at it, but track height can't be adjusted without going into the timeline setup panel, and the "click to drag/click to drop" procedure can make finding the right track position tricky as the track view scrolls far too quickly. Timeline "scrubbing" is also disappointing, with Video Editor apparently unable to play audio in reverse and Audio Editor is unable to scrub at all.
It would also have been nice to see the Capture Tool and Audio Editor functionality merged into Video Editor. You can jump between applications using the Switch menu and open audio files in the audio editor, for example, but any changes you make have to be saved to a different file and re-imported into Video Editor rather than being updated dynamically.
But MediaStudio Pro has a couple of impressive tricks up its sleeve. The first of these is Smart Proxy. Because the processing requirements for HDV, in particular, are very high even for today's CPUs, MediaStudio Pro allows you to set a proxy file service for high-definition content. Similar to Pinnacle's "Draft Mode", this allows you to work from lower-definition preview files, making multi-track edits of HDV footage more feasible. When the time comes to finalise your project, MediaStudio Pro uses the original high-definition content.
The second unique selling point is Video Editor's Smart Composite - essentially a collection of 22 slick, multi-layered video compositions for lead-ins and segues that can be tailored to suit your needs. The "Romance" composites, in particular, will make putting together a polished wedding video a much faster task.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo Find X3 Pro review: An all around performer with a touch of class
- 2 MSI GS66 Stealth (2021) review: A gaming powerhouse with 300Hz display
- 3 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Realme 7 Pro review: Further progress
Latest News Articles
- Starlink Internet to be deployed in outback Aussie school
- Got Spotify for desktop? You can now download songs for offline playback
- Amazon's revamped Alexa Voice Remote for Fire TV adds shortcuts to Netflix, Disney+
- Spotify will roll out CD-quality audio streams later this year
- Amazon’s new Echo Show 10 and its rotating display will finally ship on Feburary 25
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- The best Amazon Prime Day laptop deals for Australia
- Best Amazon Prime Day deals for Australia in 2021
- Best Australian EOFY 2021 Laptop Deals
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?