Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8
- Solid features
- Lacking some basic elements of video editing software
While MediaStudio Pro has many commendable features and an attractive price point, it’s let down by the basic operation of the underlying editing software.
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
Though unlikely to challenge leading video editors like Adobe's Premiere Pro or Sony's Vegas, Ulead's revamped MediaStudio Pro 8 has new features that will be extremely useful for video editors who need convenience more than performance.
Surprisingly for the price, MediaStudio Pro comes with extensive support for video and audio file types (including HDV and 24P), and includes full Dolby Surround Sound export out of the box (though AC3 audio import requires a plug-in). The interface has also been updated, with smart resizing, dockable windows and tabbed panes (like Premiere Pro), and key tools are given their own dedicated buttons above the timeline - rather than hard-to-grasp tool shortcuts and combination keys.
The timeline can handle as many tracks as you'd care to throw at it, but track height can't be adjusted without going into the timeline setup panel, and the "click to drag/click to drop" procedure can make finding the right track position tricky as the track view scrolls far too quickly. Timeline "scrubbing" is also disappointing, with Video Editor apparently unable to play audio in reverse and Audio Editor is unable to scrub at all.
It would also have been nice to see the Capture Tool and Audio Editor functionality merged into Video Editor. You can jump between applications using the Switch menu and open audio files in the audio editor, for example, but any changes you make have to be saved to a different file and re-imported into Video Editor rather than being updated dynamically.
But MediaStudio Pro has a couple of impressive tricks up its sleeve. The first of these is Smart Proxy. Because the processing requirements for HDV, in particular, are very high even for today's CPUs, MediaStudio Pro allows you to set a proxy file service for high-definition content. Similar to Pinnacle's "Draft Mode", this allows you to work from lower-definition preview files, making multi-track edits of HDV footage more feasible. When the time comes to finalise your project, MediaStudio Pro uses the original high-definition content.
The second unique selling point is Video Editor's Smart Composite - essentially a collection of 22 slick, multi-layered video compositions for lead-ins and segues that can be tailored to suit your needs. The "Romance" composites, in particular, will make putting together a polished wedding video a much faster task.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital BAOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)VIC
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTPractice Director DevelopmentSA
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- CCPHP DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTLevel 2/Level 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- FTMid-Level Software EngineerOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- CCLevel 1 and 2 Help Desk OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerOther
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT