Uniden Crash Cam app
Uniden's Crash Cam app can be used on an iPhone or an Android smartphone, and it's a good alternative if you don't want to invest in a dedicated dash cam
- Great if you don't want a dedicated dash cam
- Lots of settings to play with
- Has continuous recording
- Easy to use
- No function to rename files
- No multi delete
Uniden has designed this app for all drivers, but it can be especially useful for those of you who drive long distances on a daily basis, yet don’t want to invest in a dedicated dash cam.
Price$ 4.49 (AUD)
The aftermath of a road accident can be one of the most stressful things you’ll experience, especially if false claims or conflicting opinions arise. A crash cam can help you deal with this by documenting the incident, but thanks to Uniden’s Crash Cam app, now you don’t even have to own a dedicated dashboard camera.
Uniden has designed an app that allows your iPhone or Android smartphone to act as a crash cam. It’s actually called Crash Cam, and it allows you to record events from your vehicle in the case of an accident. You have to mount your smartphone to the inside of your windshield, which means you’ll have to buy a suitable mount that allows your phone to be placed in a position where it can see clearly in front your car.
When the app’s running, it can detect any sudden movements using the G-sensor in the phone, and the automatically start capturing footage. There is a loop recorder functionality, which records events in one continuous video. The purpose of these recordings is so that they can later be used as evidence for the authorities, for insurance purposes, and other legal matters. This app could help you in the case of false claims made against you.
Features and Functionality
Overall, the app is simple and clean. There are five buttons on the main screen that allow you to quickly access the different sections of the app: Home, Video, Camera, Clips, and More (where the settings are and you can see how much recording space you have, among other things). It’s easy to use and the interface is very user-friendly.
Uniden Crash Cam allows you to record in both landscape and portrait modes. The app stores all you videos and images within the app, and this is good because your Camera Roll won't become cluttered. That said, it has the ability to save to the Camera Roll if you wish to do so.
The app also geotags the location of the events that have been captured and uses the phone’s GPS to allow you to view a map overlay on the record screen. A cool function of Crash Cam is that it can tell you what your maximum and average speeds were for each piece of footage. You can instantly email videos and images you capture, and even share them on Facebook and Twitter.
The app also offers lots of customisations. The three sensitivity levels you can set for the G-sensor are: light, medium, and high. This will determine how sudden the movement will need to be in order to activate the recording. In testing, the G-sensor was responsive to sudden shakes and movements when recording. There is also a manual recording function.
Recording and viewing footage
You can set the resolution of the recording in the settings to either 1920x1080, 1280x720, 640x480, or 352x258. Also available is the function to enable Auto record and choose the length of each of these recordings. You can choose from 1, 2, 5, or 12 minutes.
In clips, there are three sections: Recents, Favourites, and Images. Each clip folder has a compilation of your clips, stills, and map location. It’s a very neat set up, although organisation would've been easier if there was a way to rename the clips. On the top of each clip there is a time and date stamp, and the bottom of the clip displays your maximum and average speeds. From here you can share your recordings. To delete a file, you swipe to the left and click delete. We would like to see a multi-delete function because deleting becomes tedious if you have a lot of files.
Reviewed on: iPhone 5s
Requirements: iOS 6.0 or later
Size: 6.8 MB
Developer: Uniden Australia Pty. Ltd.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 First Look: Nikon D850
- 2 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 Google WiFi review
Latest News Articles
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- Gboard update brings text selection mode and resizing to Android keyboard app
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: ASUS Newest Notebooks
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTPresales Security ConsultantWA
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSenior Security ConsultantQLD
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- TPSharePoint Business AnalystVIC
- FTScum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- CCCommercial AnalystNSW
- FTMobile/ Web (PHP) DeveloperNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- FTUX DesignerOther
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project OfficerNSW
- CCPenetration TesterQLD
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC
- CCMid Level .Net Developer - NV1 - CanberraACT
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTProject Manager/Integration PMACT
- FTCyber/Forensic Security AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystVIC
- FTERP Delivery ManagerQLD
- CCTRIM Support OfficerQLD
- FTSoftware Asset ManagerACT