SkiniTunes is a free mini-player that runs alongside the massive iTunes.
- Free, Works flawlessly with the most recent version of iTunes
- iTunes Genius integration would be nice
Since iTunes' own mini player is kind of blah and isn't really standalone from the iTunes software itself (it goes away every time you try to do something in iTunes), having a dedicated player that can access iTunes music is pretty neat.
SkiniTunes consists of two different iterations: the Mini Player, which is a small rectangular app that has standard media player controls on it, and the Skini Player, which is an extremely small horizontal bar that sits at the top of the screen. SkiniTunes can switch back and forth between the two players in the middle of a track, but can't minimise completely.
Apple iTunes already has a built-in mini player, but this is a nice alternative as it shows the album artwork, has an optional short-lived popup box when a new song starts, and has optional skins for itself. The skins for SkiniTunes change its appearance to one of several graphical variations.
SkiniTunes 1.0.5 works flawlessly with the most recent 18.104.22.168 version of iTunes, and it uses between 4 and 6 megabytes of RAM, about 10 per cent of what iTunes will be using at any given time. It also doesn't use up much CPU, which is good, because iTunes itself is a memory and CPU hog as well as a screen hog.
SkiniTunes is completely free, but there are numerous grayed-out features that are only available in the US$5 SkiniTunes Pro. Pay-only features include downloadable lyrics, app transparency effects, and the ability to use hotkeys in general and from within any application to control SkiniTunes. These features are nice, but certainly aren't required to enjoy the SkiniTunes experience.
One feature that'd be nice in a future version is integration with the iTunes Genius feature. Genius constructs a short playlist based around the type of music that's currently playing. It'd be handy if SkiniTunes had a Genius icon that would tell iTunes to make such a playlist. As it is, you can see iTunes' existing Genius playlist from within SkiniTunes, which will have to be good enough.
SkiniTunes is free. There's also a fuller-featured SkiniTunes Pro, which is $5 and adds lyric and hotkey support. Due to an unusual installer setup (.msi inside an .exe), some antivirus programs register a false positive for this file.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTData Specialist (SSIS, CRM)ACT
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- CCSOC AnalystVIC
- CCSalesforce Technical ArchitectNSW
- FTUX Designer | Mid Level | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer | Data Feeds | AI & AutomationOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- FTHogan Technical ConsultantOther
- FTETL & SQL Data AnalystOther
- TPDatabase & GIS ManagerVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTApplications Support SpecialistSA
- CCSolutions Architect - SharepointNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager Consulting ITQLD
- FTExperienced Application DeveloperSA
- CCPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsOther
- CCGuidewire Business Analyst - Brisbane basedVIC
- FTTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- CCService Management AnalystNSW