Verbatim Portable Hard Drive
A portable hard drive to help with your backups
- Robust, does the job
- Nero software overwrites data by default, software's encryption function not great
A solid, decent but uninspiring backup drive, the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive will make a good purchase for those who back up regularly.
The Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is a lightweight USB 2.0 external storage device with a scratch-resistant plastic chassis.
Although the curved silver plastic finish isn't the most expensive looking design, we liked its looks and found the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive pleasingly robust.
Power is supplied to the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive via a single mini USB 2.0 port at the top of the drive. However, you only know for sure that the drive is successfully installed by consulting the status bubble that pops up on your desktop — the drive itself has no lights to indicate it's in use.
After a while, you notice a secondary sign that the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is operational: it gets a little warm.
The Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is a quiet drive too and its test results show it goes about its job efficiently, with a spindle spin speed of 5400rpm.
There's little about the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive to distinguish it from the pack, however. Content can be dragged and dropped to and from a laptop or PC to the drive, but there's no winning software interface to help you manage your multi-gigabyte archive.
Nero's BackItUp 2 Essentials software is part of the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive setup. This takes just a minute or two to install and covers the basics of creating a new archive or restoring one should you be unfortunate enough to find yourself with a corrupt drive. There are friendlier-looking programs out there than this one, but it works well enough.
What doesn't seem to be offered by the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive is much in the way of data protection. So while we were able to copy the entire contents of our Vista laptop to any connected drive, no questions asked, it was down to us to think to encrypt the contents — you must first click the More radio button to see what else is offered. Even then, encryption requires only a common-or-garden password. By contrast, we were given a prompt about drive compression.
The other issue is that by default the Nero software overwrites existing data — something you only discover by investigating the various settings under the Configure menu. You have to alter this in the less than obvious Restore pane.
To be fair, the Verbatim Portable Hard Drive will suit many users who simply know they should get into the habit of creating a backup of their work. Ensuring that archive is secure shouldn't be an afterthought.
According to product details listed on the Verbatim website, research company GfK predicted a huge growth for this sort of external backup device — the unimaginatively named Portable Hard Drive comes across as a response to that fact. (Actually, they liked the idea so much they bought existing hard drive maker SmartDisk.)
Unfortunately, that's all it does. Verbatim's offering does nothing to push the boundaries of design or capabilities.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ProductsNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTWEB DesignerQLD
- TPSupport Engineer (Security Tools)VIC
- CCPeopleSoft DeveloperVIC
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- FTICT SpecialistNSW
- FTEnterprise Security ArchitectQLD
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- FTTest Manager / Test LeadQLD
- CCService DeskSA
- FTServer EngineerSA
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- CCGIS DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- FTIteration ManagerQLD