Vertus Fluid Mask
- Fastest, most accurate cut-out tool available; new Color Workspace
- No path creation, standalone version can output only PNGs
Fluid Mask 3 is the best cut-out tool on the market. It's just as adept at producing cut-outs of simple objects such as product photos as it is at helping you create better compositions from intricate images with hair and similarly coloured foreground and background.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
As every creative knows, cut-outs are a pain. Extracting objects from backgrounds by hand is one of those mundane jobs that takes time that could be spent more creatively.
Fluid Mask automates the creation of cut-outs, an area where it faces strong competition from the likes of OnOne's Mask Pro 4.1 and Digital Anarchy's Primatte 3 for Photoshop.
It's also up against Photoshop CS3 itself, which added the Quick Selection tool -- although this is simply one step up from the original Magic Wand.
Fluid Mask runs as a plug-in for Photoshop, as well as a standalone application. Using it as a stand-alone application is suited to creating a large number of cut-outs, as Fluid Mask runs faster without Photoshop running beneath it. However, it can output only PNGs, so further processing is necessary before use in production. Even as a Photoshop plug-in, Fluid Mask 3.0 is noticeably faster than the previous version.
There are three main toolsets for creating cut-outs within Fluid Mask 3.0. As before, the software will create a Web of similarly-coloured areas that you can select areas that you want to keep or remove in a 'painting-by-numbers' fashion, best for objects with hard edges. For intricate details such as hair, you can paint areas as 'keep', 'remove' and 'blend', with it working out the detail in the 'blend' area.
The latest version of Fluid Mask adds the Color Workspace, which allows you to keep or remove pixels based on shade. It gives you a graph or colour map of two properties selected from hue, lightness, saturation, red, green or blue. You can then draw on areas to keep, remove or blend.
The Color Workspace provides an excellent way to touch up areas that are too small or fiddly to do using Fluid Mask's other tools, or even manually.
The new Patch tool lets you mark out areas and work on them without affecting the rest of the image. Patches allows you to work on nooks and crannies and tufts of hair individually without ruining the rest of your image.
For example, when cutting out a full-length shot of a person, you'd use the 'painting-by-numbers' technique for their clothes, then use the Patch tool to paint on their hair. Then use Patches to fine tune problem areas.
However, while the rest of the interface has been moved to a CS3-style panel structure, the Color Workspace and Patch controls are in floating palettes that often get in the way. It also doesn't run as a Smart Filter -- a hindrance when you need to go back and change a cut-out after seeing how it interacts with other elements of your composition. Now it can produce paths instead of alpha channels, which can be a timesaver for designers.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior SharePoint DeveloperWA
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork ConsultantQLD
- CCFront-end DeveloperNSW
- CCAgile Coach/LeadNSW
- FTHybris ArchitectOther
- FTProject Manager - Infrastructure ProjectsNSW
- FTTraining & Communications SpecialistOther
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTHR System ConsultantOther
- FTIT Forensics and Fraud Technical LeadOther
- CCDesktop Support Technician - Karratha basedWA
- FTBusiness Analyst - End User ComputingOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTCRM TrainerOther
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTAnalyst Programmer C++, UNIX & SQL - Financial Services - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- FTProgram Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTProduction Support AnalystOther
- FTHosting/Virtualisation ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTUX & Research SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTApplication Delivery Manager - HealthcareQLD