Viewsonic PJD5351 projector
ViewSonic's latest short-throw projector is a powerhouse in a tiny body
- High brightness, good dynamic contrast mode, useful short-throw lens
- Annoying remote, fixed focal length
If you need a projector that can display a large image from a short distance away, ViewSonic’s PJD5351 is a great choice. Its fixed focal length means there’s no zoom capability, but its other specifications make it an good choice.
Price$ 1,399.00 (AUD)
ViewSonic’s PJD5351 is a short-throw projector that can display a 60in image from only 1.1 metres away. This makes it very useful for use in confined spaces, and its specifications make it an enticing package although the lack of a zoom option may annoy some users.
Like the Dell M209X, the ViewSonic PJD5351 projector is a powerhouse in a tiny body. It’s about the size of a good encyclopaedia — 96mm tall, 264mm wide and 225mm long — and sports a satin black finish with some matte silver accents. It’s not one of the coolest projectors around by our reckoning, but it’s attractive enough. It’s also light enough to be easily portable, too, weighing just 2.5kg.
The ViewSonic PJD5351 has every input you’d expect from a business-oriented projector: two VGA inputs and a single output, as well as component, S-Video and composite. It also has 3.5mm audio jacks for speaker input and passthrough. A 4:3 native ratio and a resolution of 1024x768 make this projector useful for business presentations via a PC or notebook.
The ViewSonic PJD5351 projector also has some impressive specifications given its size. It will perform well in a bright environment, thanks to its rating of 2500 ANSI lumens — nothing to sneeze at. High brightness levels are a great advantage on portable projectors, since they're likely be used in a wide range of environments.
The contrast ratio is also good for a portable DLP projector. Its 2400:1 rating is only valid with dynamic contrast adjustment enabled, but that’s not a problem since the adjustments take place quickly and unobtrusively. With the help of DLP’s versatile colour palette the ViewSonic PJD5351 is able to display a wide range of colours and tones — we watched a few DVD movies and weren’t disappointed by colour reproduction.
Our main annoyance with this unit stems from the fact that it uses a fixed lens; there’s no zoom option available. This might make setting it up in a cluttered environment difficult, since your only option for resizing the screen is to move the projector forward and backward. The large focus wheel is well weighted, though, and we had no problems getting a sharp image.
Operation noise is minimal. There’s a small fan on the right side of the projector but it hums along quietly. If there’s any other source of noise in the room — whether it’s projected audio from the integrated mono 5W speaker or ambient noise — you won’t be distracted by the fan.
We were impressed by the ViewSonic PJD5351’s combination of a short-throw lens, bright lamp and versatile dynamic contrast ratio. It makes an equally good show of presentations and videos, so if you’re looking for a compact big-screen projector it’s a great option.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- FTAWS AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (Office 365)Other
- FTNetwork Operator - Order Support CentreOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTWebmethods DeveloperOther
- CCCommunications SpecialistNSW
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- TPTest Analyst - AutomationQLD
- FTTechnical BA/Scrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaOther
- FTSenior PM - Data AnalyticsOther
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- FTProject Manager - Product & Value ChainOther
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management Technical DesignerNSW
- FTInfrastructure ManagerNSW
- CCDeveloper - DeliveryNSW
- FTBusiness Process BAOther
- FTSAP Ariba Project ManagerOther