ViewSonic VG2427wm LCD monitor
ViewSonic's VG2427wm LCD monitor provides good image quality but lacks HDMI
- Solid performance, non-glossy screen, full HD resolution
- No HDMI, bland styling, minor backlight bleeding
ViewSonic's VG2427wm LCD monitor is a capable, if not outstanding performer. The lack of HDMI is a real shame, as otherwise, the monitor would have been ideal for use with the latest high definition gaming consoles.
Price$ 369.00 (AUD)
A full HD LCD monitor boasting solid, all-round performance, ViewSonic's VG2427wm may not look the part, but it provides good image quality. Unfortunately, the decision to not include an HDMI connection may be a deal breaker for potential customers.
Aesthetically, the ViewSonic VG2427wm isn't anything special, with a bland black design. The 23.6in LCD monitor has a matte black bezel and matching stand, and the screen itself also has a matte finish — this means that reflective light isn't an issue, unlike many glossy screens. The stand allows the VG2427wm LCD monitor to swivel 180 degrees and tilt 25 degrees, but it doesn't pivot and we think it should sit a little lower than it does. The stand itself is bulky and its large circular style base takes up quite a bit of desk space. The good news is the VG2427wm LCD monitor is wall mountable using a standard VESA mount.
The ViewSonic VG2427wm's controls sit in the middle of the bottom bezel and are straightforward to use. A small blue LED denotes the power and the buttons are easy to press despite their small size. ViewSonic doesn't include any preset image settings (such as text, Internet or gaming), but you can manually adjust the colour, in addition to the standard brightness and contrast settings.
The ViewSonic VG2427wm LCD monitor has DVI and VGA inputs, but HDMI is a big omission, especially considering this is a full HD monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080. The lack of HDMI means users needing a monitor to use with the latest high-definition gaming consoles, such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's Playstation 3 , would be best advised to look elsewhere.
The lack of HDMI is a further shame when considering the ViewSonic VG2427wm's image quality and motion performance. Although it's not outstanding, it comfortably handles colour, text and motion, providing a solid performance overall. Text in particular is clear and sharp with no visible aberrations and fast motion is similarly impressive. We didn't experience any ghosting or lag, despite the fact that the VG2427wm's 5ms response time is a little slower than many competing monitors — such as AOC's Angelo 2434pw that boasts a 2ms response time.
The ViewSonic VG2427wm isn't without its flaws. We did note some minor backlight bleeding at the edge of the screen and it does tend to struggle with blacks and dark greys, often failing to distinguish between the two. It's viewing angles aren't great, especially horizontally. Text becomes unreadable and colours wash out when viewing from non-optimum angles, although this is somewhat expected from a TN panel.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Front End DevelopersOther
- FTRecruitment Consultant - Major AccountsOther
- FTProject Manager-Rail/ Telecommunication /Electrical engineeringOther
- FTVoice Solution Engineer - Telecommunications (cisco)Other
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCGen System AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analysts, Banking, LendingOther
- FTXamarin DeveloperOther
- FTTest Manager - Applications - NSW GovernmentOther
- FTEPAS Technical Support OfficerOther
- CCSenior Project Manager - Activation and Assurance - TelcoVIC
- FTSales AssociateACT
- TPSenior .NET AWS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- FTIT Support Specialist - Level 2Other
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersOther
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTCitrix Designer / EngineerOther
- TPTest AnalystVIC
- FTSAP ETL DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW