- Outstanding image detail, high quality performance
- Slightly limited viewing angle, poor colour transition
Only the most demanding and professional users will be able to fault the VP730b. Its image quality and performance recommend it as one of the best LCD Monitors we’ve reviewed.
Price$ 529.00 (AUD)
The VP730b 17" LCD monitor is a member of the ViewSonic 'Pro Series', the company's high end range marketed specifically to professional users.While we found the VP730b to be less than perfect, it is still an outstanding LCD monitor that delivers incredible performance across a huge range of applications.
In our opinion, image quality is exceptional on the this monitor and the quality remains exceptional across the entire 17 inches of the display. Images and text remain sharp and well defined from the centre to all four corners, and during our tests we were unable to detect any noticeable differences in luminance or image detail towards the extremities of the screen. Colours were rich and vibrant, and maintained a strong consistency across the entire display. Various hues appeared deep and well defined; each one visibly independent and separate.
Despite a relatively low contrast ratio (500:1), the monitor produced a very respectable range of blacks when fully configured. Only the darkest blacks were indistinguishable from a pure black background, and through careful calibration of the contrast and brightness settings, we were able to achieve an impressively detailed range of greys.
Even with this impressive image quality, however, the VP730b is let down slightly by its performance. While its 8ms response time handled grey-to-grey transitions incredibly well, we were a little disappointed with noticeable distortions when cycling through colours. Apart from this minor detraction, the Viewsonic performed incredibly well in our tests, with little to no ghosting, even in fast moving action packed movies. Although ViewSonic claims a 140 degree viewing angle, we did notice colour shift at about ninety degrees, and by 140, colours were clearly distorted.
ViewSonic's Pro Series design is one of the VP730b's most impressive features. A solid black stand supports the screen, which is able to be raised, lowered, and rotated to suit the viewer's needs. The display itself can also be turned 90 degrees, allowing users to view their work in portrait format, as well as landscape. The on screen display (OSD) provides a suitable range of options, including colour temperature, contrast/brightness, and image selection. Two D-SUB ports and a single DVI connector make up the connection options; more than enough for most serious users, but serious professionals may be a little disappointed by the lack of an extra DVI or USB connector.
Nevertheless, the ViewSonic VP730b is an outstanding monitor by any standards. High end users may find it slightly lacking in one or two specific areas, but for regular users, ViewSonic's VP730b represents an exceptional visual experience, offering outstanding performance in nearly every area. Its combination of professional design and standout functionality make it a highly recommended display for those who can afford it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPProject Manager | Digital Health ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTProject Co-OrdinatorOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantQLD
- CCEngagement OfficerNSW
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Integration Platform ProjectQLD
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager - SAP PPMOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- TPApplication Packaging & Support ConsultantVIC
- FTOracle WebLogic Administrator- Banking backgroundOther
- TPICT Procurement Officer | NorthsideQLD
- TPChange Analyst / ManagerQLD
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- CCITSM OR iTIL Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTMid-Level Project Manager - IP and Voice ProductsOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW