- Outstanding image detail, high quality performance
- Slightly limited viewing angle, poor colour transition
Only the most demanding and professional users will be able to fault the VP730b. Its image quality and performance recommend it as one of the best LCD Monitors we’ve reviewed.
Price$ 529.00 (AUD)
The VP730b 17" LCD monitor is a member of the ViewSonic 'Pro Series', the company's high end range marketed specifically to professional users.While we found the VP730b to be less than perfect, it is still an outstanding LCD monitor that delivers incredible performance across a huge range of applications.
In our opinion, image quality is exceptional on the this monitor and the quality remains exceptional across the entire 17 inches of the display. Images and text remain sharp and well defined from the centre to all four corners, and during our tests we were unable to detect any noticeable differences in luminance or image detail towards the extremities of the screen. Colours were rich and vibrant, and maintained a strong consistency across the entire display. Various hues appeared deep and well defined; each one visibly independent and separate.
Despite a relatively low contrast ratio (500:1), the monitor produced a very respectable range of blacks when fully configured. Only the darkest blacks were indistinguishable from a pure black background, and through careful calibration of the contrast and brightness settings, we were able to achieve an impressively detailed range of greys.
Even with this impressive image quality, however, the VP730b is let down slightly by its performance. While its 8ms response time handled grey-to-grey transitions incredibly well, we were a little disappointed with noticeable distortions when cycling through colours. Apart from this minor detraction, the Viewsonic performed incredibly well in our tests, with little to no ghosting, even in fast moving action packed movies. Although ViewSonic claims a 140 degree viewing angle, we did notice colour shift at about ninety degrees, and by 140, colours were clearly distorted.
ViewSonic's Pro Series design is one of the VP730b's most impressive features. A solid black stand supports the screen, which is able to be raised, lowered, and rotated to suit the viewer's needs. The display itself can also be turned 90 degrees, allowing users to view their work in portrait format, as well as landscape. The on screen display (OSD) provides a suitable range of options, including colour temperature, contrast/brightness, and image selection. Two D-SUB ports and a single DVI connector make up the connection options; more than enough for most serious users, but serious professionals may be a little disappointed by the lack of an extra DVI or USB connector.
Nevertheless, the ViewSonic VP730b is an outstanding monitor by any standards. High end users may find it slightly lacking in one or two specific areas, but for regular users, ViewSonic's VP730b represents an exceptional visual experience, offering outstanding performance in nearly every area. Its combination of professional design and standout functionality make it a highly recommended display for those who can afford it.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- PC World 2017 Editors' Choice Awards Nomineees Announced
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior MySQL Database Administrator - SydneySA
- CCTechnical Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- CCAngular DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Administrator/Junior Project ManagerOther
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- FTAPI Developer | Back EndOther
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- TPDeveloper (Programmer)ACT
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- FTTest LeadOther
- FTBig Data EngineerOther
- CCISAM AdministratorACT
- CCAxway DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPKronos AdministratorQLD
- CCPlatform Engineer - Identity & Access Management - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTNetwork Architect - Perm / ContractACT
- CCTest AnalystSA
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther