Vodafone Mobile Connect Internet USB Stick
Versatile Internet key that doubles as USB flash drive
- Design, doubles as a flash memory drive, plug and play, Mac OS support, simple software
- No antenna for reception boost
Vodafone’s USB Internet Stick is a versatile solution for mobile broadband; the fact that it also doubles as a USB flash drive with expandable memory is a nice touch.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Vodafone has launched a mobile broadband 'Internet Stick' that is stylish and easy to use. The Mobile Connect Internet USB Stick is the successor of the Mobile Connect HSDPA USB Modem. It boasts a slim profile and offers plug and play capabilities on both Windows and Mac machines.
The USB Internet Stick is rated at a theoretical maximum speed of 7.2 megabits per second over Vodafone’s HSDPA network. The network is currently being upgraded and is set to reach over 95 per cent of the Australian population by Christmas 2008. As with all mobile Internet devices, keep in mind that the actual speed achieved will depend on a number of factors such as device capabilities, your location and equipment, as well as network usage at the time.
The Vodafone service supports connectivity in HSDPA, 3G and GPRS coverage areas. If the HSDPA signal strength isn't strong enough, the service falls back to standard 3G. If no HSDPA or 3G signal can be received, then the modem will revert to GPRS (60 kilobits per second maximum).
Aside from its compact size, one of its main appeals is the fact that the software required to use the service is installed on the USB device itself. This means much more flexibility in terms of using the unit on multiple computers. It connects via USB, so it offers a flexible alternative for users of desktop PCs and notebooks. Conveniently, the Internet Stick also doubles as a USB flash drive — there is a microSD card slot included that can house cards of up to 4GB in size, although no card is included in the package.
During testing the Internet Stick performed well in our offices (in St Leonards, Sydney), receiving a standard HSDPA signal. We performed a number of tests, ranging from sending and receiving small amounts of data, like e-mails and basic Web browsing, to using streaming services, and finally to basic downloading of files (ranging from 1MB to 60MB in size). Speeds tended to vary on a day-to-day basis.
The Internet Stick has no problem with basic Web browsing, loading pages swiftly. If you are in an HSDPA area, streaming media from sites like YouTube is excellent. While downloading files in a standard HSDPA coverage area we were able to achieve speeds of up to 200 kilobytes per second, but the speed generally fluctuated between 130KBps and 170KBps.
The Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite software included on the Internet Stick scores points for ease of use. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS and takes less than a couple of minutes to install. Using this program you can manage connections, view your approximate monthly usage and manage SMS messages. When connected, you can quickly view information on the current session in the main window, including duration of connection, the volume of data sent and received, and the current signal strength.
Vodafone’s mobile broadband plans for the Internet Stick start at $29.95 per month for 1GB of data. $49.95 per month gives you a reasonable 5GB of data, while both plans charge an additional 10 cents per megabyte for additional use. On top of this, the Stick has a monthly device repayment of $5 per month on the $29.95 plan.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- FTProject Administrator, IT ProgramOther
- FTInfrastructure Architect (EUC)Other
- FTJunior Business AnalystACT
- FTSAP CRM FunctionalistOther
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerQLD
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTFeature Team Lead - paying $725 per dayOther
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Network Designer - Australian Citizenship RequiredOther
- FTNetwork Support EngineerSA
- PTDirector Programme Management OfficeSA
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactJSOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTStorage & Backup Engineer x2 - EMCOther
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- CCScrum Master - BrisbaneNSW