Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment LEGO Batman: The Videogame
A blocky Dark Knight.
- It's a charming and fun take on the Batman universe; the cast of playable characters is great
- The computer A.I. partner isn't very much help; play the game with a friend for best results
The developers behind the magical LEGO Star Wars and the thrilling LEGO Indiana Jones bring their brand of blocky fun to the world of Batman. Full of surprises, humor and an all-star cast of playable characters, it's yet another solid reinvention of an established license. Plus, it has Batman in it!
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
I am a huge nerd when it comes to Batman, so my expectations for the LEGO version of my favourite superhero franchise were understandably high. After seeing what Traveller's Tales did with the Dark Knight, I'm really happy to say that it lives up my expectations as well as the high bar set by the company's previous efforts. With just the right amount of humour and some clever game design, LEGO Batman's a great title for Bat-obsessed fanboys and casual gamers alike.
BIFF! BOOM! BAM!
The first thing I noticed about LEGO Batman is that it isn't as silly or as lighthearted as its siblings. Gotham City is a far darker place and Traveller's Tales wisely kept that motif intact. There are some welcome attempts at humour, like the characters emotive faces and pratfalls, but it's not overdone, which is a good thing overall. The colour palette skews more towards darker tones but the visual style still jumps out at you.
Gameplay wise, it stays true to the LEGO formula — you run around cleverly designed levels breaking apart the scenery, collecting gobs of LEGO studs and solving simple puzzles. You also fight criminals and deal with the occasional boss fight but it isn't particularly taxing, especially since you get unlimited lives (the only penalty is that you lose some studs each time you die, which affects your end of level rating). There are also some cool vehicle-based levels that add a nice sense of variety and multiple costumes you can collect that impart special abilities. You also get to play from the villains' viewpoint which is especially awesome since the baddies, from the Joker on down, display the most personality.
Breaking The Law
The only gripe I had with LEGO Batman is that you really can't play it alone; the AI partner isn't particularly helpful and while it does an adequate job of being in the right place when it comes to cooperative puzzles, it spends most of its time just sort of standing around. But the real joy of a LEGO game is heading out with a friend to smash stuff up and grab scads of loot, so it's not that big of a deal.
With a great variety of levels, tons of things to smash and collect, and a loveable cast of iconic heroes and villains, LEGO Batman is a fun and enjoyable title that will appeal not only to younger gamers but to Batman fans alike. It's not Dark Knight: The Video Game but it's an excellent addition to the Batman mythos nonetheless.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- TPPrincipal Portfolio Officer - One Month Contract - DSITIQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Banking/FinanceNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- TPIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- CCConsultant - Hogan Health CheckQLD
- FTData Analyst - BIQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTApplications Project ManagerQLD
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTSupport Analyst - TallymanVIC
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Procurement Specialist | 3mth ContractVIC
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- CCData ArchitectWA
- FTWintel Engineer - Website hostingNSW