Western Digital My Book Essential Edition
- Competitive cost per formatted gigabyte, simple to use, switches itself off when your computer is turned off
- Supplied software is only for trial purposes
This is a basic drive with plenty of storage space at a competitive price. It's suitable for anyone who wants to expand their computer's capacity, without going under the hood.
Price$ 249.99 (AUD)
There isn't much to this My Book Essential Edition drive. In fact, it's aptly named as you won't get any unnecessary features or connections. It's small, button-less and, apart from a distinct blue LED, inconspicuous.
Furthermore, it's ready to use as soon as you pull it out of the box. Simply plug it into a free USB 2.0 port on your PC and you'll straight away be able to store stuff on its capacious 750GB hard drive. That drive has a formatted capacity of 698GB, and when you consider the drive's low asking price of $249, it works out to be 35 cents per formatted gigabyte. That's tremendous value for an external drive and you needn't spend more money unless you need other connectivity options such as Ethernet, eSATA or FireWire.
On the inside, the My Book Essential Edition has a 7200rpm hard drive with a 16MB buffer, which was plenty fast in our tests. It averaged 21.73MBps in our write test and 25MBps in our read test (our source drive was 500GB Samsung SpinPoint), while in the read/write test it managed to transfer data at a rate of 17.24MBps. It's an ideal drive for storing downloads, music and pretty much anything else.
The My Book's exterior is made out of plastic and the internal drive is kept cool purely by the air vents that surround it. There aren't any fans present, which means the drive is very quiet except for the odd noise that can be heard during read/write operations. However, you don't want to pick up this drive and move it while its reading or writing data as it will make a slight grinding noise, which was unnerving during our tests to say the least. Just sit the drive on a desk and let it do its thing before moving it.
Included in the package is the drive's power adapter and a USB cable. You get some software with the drive, which is actually stored on the drive and not supplied on a CD, but it's not the full version software. You get Memeo AutoSynch and AutoBackup, and the latter, in particular, is worth checking out as it's a very easy to use backup program. You can tell Memeo AutoBackup which folders you want to backup, so each time you plug in the My Book drive, those folders will be automatically backed up. You can also tell the software how many additional versions of files within your backup folders you want to keep and you can elect to encrypt files, this means you'll only be able to restore them if you use the Memeo software.
For anyone who wants a basic external hard drive for their PC or notebook, but one with plenty of storage space, this one is ideal. It's a no fuss solution and it won't cost you too much either.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- Editors' Choice Awards 2017, Part Two - Mobile
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Editors' Choice 2017, Part One - Gadgets
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCControl Systems SpecialistACT
- FTNetwork and Telecommunications ArchitectOther
- CCiOS DeveloperQLD
- FTSpatial AnalystVIC
- FTETL/Data EngineerOther
- FTProject Manager - Develop Strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrdOther
- FTNet Technical Lead - Funds Management Products -Leading FintechOther
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTResident EngineerOther
- FTAPI Developer | Back EndOther
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTDev Ops EngineerOther
- TPOffice 365 Technical LeadQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer -VoiceVIC
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTPart-time Project Administrator (Agile) - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCNetwork Data EngineerWA
- CCRPG Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCProject Delivery Lead - Oracle Banking Platform - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW
- CCProject OfficerNSW
- CCIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTCloud ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior Project OfficerNSW