Western Digital My Book Premium Edition 500GB
- Suprisingly fast Firewire connection.
- None to speak of.
Its cost per gigabyte of $1.26 is competitive for a large external drive, so if you need that many gigs, the My Book is worth considering.
Price$ 589.00 (AUD)
Western Digital's My Book Premium Edition is designed to make the storage and archival of music, videos, photos and documents, quick and easy. It provides 465GB of formatted space via a 7200rpm hard drive with a 16MB cache buffer and it can be connected to a PC using USB 2.0 or FireWire. The button on the front of the unit can be used to turn the unit on and off and is encircled by a unique indicator, which can tell you how much hard drive space you have used up.
While the My Book is made out of plastic, it has ventilation holes all around so that the warm air generated by the hard drive can escape. Its shape (which is meant to resemble a book) allows it to be situated upright or flat on the desk.
As for performance, we tested both the USB 2.0 and FireWire connection, with some surprising results. Usually, USB 2.0 tends to be quicker than FireWire when transferring data to and from an external hard drive, but with this drive, our dataset moved quicker along the FireWire connection. Copying data from the My Book to our test PC, which used a 10,000rpm hard drive and an MSI K9N Platinum motherboard, the drive recorded a transfer rate of 29.1MBps (megabytes per second) using the USB 2.0 connection, and 35.33MBps using the FireWire connection. Copying data from the test PC to My Book with the USB 2.0 connection attained a rate of 25.23MBps and the FireWire connection getting 26.23MBps.
The user interface is uncluttered and graphical, allowing schedules, full and incremental backups and file restoration to be undertaken without any hassle.
Verdict: Its cost per gigabyte of $1.26 is competitive for a large external drive, so if you need that many gigs, the My Book is worth considering.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- TPBusiness Process Flow AnalystNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorSA
- FTExperienced Application DeveloperSA
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- CCService Delivery AnalystVIC
- FTScheduler - CommunicationsOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Network SecurityOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSAP Techno Function ConsultantNSW
- FTService Design Analyst (Service Management Specialist- ITIL)Other
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- CCReporting Analyst/Workforce Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Master Data Officer- SAP , VLookup, Pivot, FinanceOther
- TPXamarin DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Test ManagerVIC
- FTMid Level Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTBI - Business Intelligence, Analytics specialists & ArchitectsOther
- TPSenior Service DeskVIC
- CC.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTIT Security SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther