Western Digital My Book Premium Edition 500GB
- Suprisingly fast Firewire connection.
- None to speak of.
Its cost per gigabyte of $1.26 is competitive for a large external drive, so if you need that many gigs, the My Book is worth considering.
Price$ 589.00 (AUD)
Western Digital's My Book Premium Edition is designed to make the storage and archival of music, videos, photos and documents, quick and easy. It provides 465GB of formatted space via a 7200rpm hard drive with a 16MB cache buffer and it can be connected to a PC using USB 2.0 or FireWire. The button on the front of the unit can be used to turn the unit on and off and is encircled by a unique indicator, which can tell you how much hard drive space you have used up.
While the My Book is made out of plastic, it has ventilation holes all around so that the warm air generated by the hard drive can escape. Its shape (which is meant to resemble a book) allows it to be situated upright or flat on the desk.
As for performance, we tested both the USB 2.0 and FireWire connection, with some surprising results. Usually, USB 2.0 tends to be quicker than FireWire when transferring data to and from an external hard drive, but with this drive, our dataset moved quicker along the FireWire connection. Copying data from the My Book to our test PC, which used a 10,000rpm hard drive and an MSI K9N Platinum motherboard, the drive recorded a transfer rate of 29.1MBps (megabytes per second) using the USB 2.0 connection, and 35.33MBps using the FireWire connection. Copying data from the test PC to My Book with the USB 2.0 connection attained a rate of 25.23MBps and the FireWire connection getting 26.23MBps.
The user interface is uncluttered and graphical, allowing schedules, full and incremental backups and file restoration to be undertaken without any hassle.
Verdict: Its cost per gigabyte of $1.26 is competitive for a large external drive, so if you need that many gigs, the My Book is worth considering.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- MWC 2018: Alcatel
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTCustomer Support (PAS) Professional- Level 2 - HealthcareVIC
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTSecurity & IAM Technical SpecialistACT
- FTSAP Ariba Project ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystOther
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- CCWeb Designer /DeveloperQLD
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop Support - BrisbaneNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCAutomation Test Engineer - BRISBANE BASEDNSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- CCStorage SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- TPProject Manager - Senior Application Specialist - HealthcareQLD
- TP.Net Developer - Senior Full StackQLD
- FTTechnical Solutions Consultants- ServiceNowNSW
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- CCTeam Assistant / EA - Telco ? 12 month contract - Nth Sydney - URGENT STARTNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD