Western Digital My Book Premium Edition 500GB
- Suprisingly fast Firewire connection.
- None to speak of.
Its cost per gigabyte of $1.26 is competitive for a large external drive, so if you need that many gigs, the My Book is worth considering.
Price$ 589.00 (AUD)
Western Digital's My Book Premium Edition is designed to make the storage and archival of music, videos, photos and documents, quick and easy. It provides 465GB of formatted space via a 7200rpm hard drive with a 16MB cache buffer and it can be connected to a PC using USB 2.0 or FireWire. The button on the front of the unit can be used to turn the unit on and off and is encircled by a unique indicator, which can tell you how much hard drive space you have used up.
While the My Book is made out of plastic, it has ventilation holes all around so that the warm air generated by the hard drive can escape. Its shape (which is meant to resemble a book) allows it to be situated upright or flat on the desk.
As for performance, we tested both the USB 2.0 and FireWire connection, with some surprising results. Usually, USB 2.0 tends to be quicker than FireWire when transferring data to and from an external hard drive, but with this drive, our dataset moved quicker along the FireWire connection. Copying data from the My Book to our test PC, which used a 10,000rpm hard drive and an MSI K9N Platinum motherboard, the drive recorded a transfer rate of 29.1MBps (megabytes per second) using the USB 2.0 connection, and 35.33MBps using the FireWire connection. Copying data from the test PC to My Book with the USB 2.0 connection attained a rate of 25.23MBps and the FireWire connection getting 26.23MBps.
The user interface is uncluttered and graphical, allowing schedules, full and incremental backups and file restoration to be undertaken without any hassle.
Verdict: Its cost per gigabyte of $1.26 is competitive for a large external drive, so if you need that many gigs, the My Book is worth considering.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperVIC
- CCWorkforce Capacity Analyst - Contract with Large Telco in Pennant HillsNSW
- TPFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- TPSupport Java RoleNSW
- CCIntel IT ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Process Analyst (Green Belt)NSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst / Application Support AnalystOther
- FTBDM/Account Manager - TechnologyACT
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTChange Manager- Rail / Fleet MaintenanceOther
- FTIT Security Support OfficersOther
- FTField Service TechnicianOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)WA
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer (RUN-BAU)VIC
- FTTableau Application Support SpecialistOther
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- CC.net developerNSW