Western Digital My Passport Elite 320GB
- Sleek design, small footprint
- MioNet and WDSync software are Windows-only
While it isn't the cheapest option, Western Digital's My Passport Elite is definitely a great way to fit a large amount of data into a small footprint.
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
Western Digital has revamped its My Passport line of portable notebook hard drives with the My Passport Elite range. Available in 250GB and 320GB options, the new range offers users a sleeker, smaller design. At 79c/GB for the 250GB and 93c/GB for the 320GB, they are substantially more expensive than Western Digital's My Book range. However, given the portability of a USB-powered drive, the My Passport Elite range is definitely worth the cost.
Perhaps the most distinctive aspect of the My Passport Elite is its new look. Compared to the Passport (160GB), the Elite range is much sexier. With sleek curvature that resembles a small book, the My Passport Elite could almost fool someone into thinking it wasn't a hard drive at all. This is aided by the choice of titanium and bronze colour options, more suited towards the business-focused consumer market compared to the original Passport's gloss colours.
At the range's core is Western Digital's Scorpio line of notebook drives. Both drives run at 5400rpm and have an 8MB cache—more than adequate for normal use. During testing, we transferred 5GB of data between the 320GB drive and a 5400rpm notebook drive. My Passport Elite managed read speeds of 15.5MBps and write speeds of 16.7MBps, and copy transfer tests speeds of 8.9MBps. Given that these are notebook drives, the speeds are quite reasonable and exceed the speeds of the original Passport (160GB).
The drive is accompanied by the same software as the Western Digital My Book Office Edition (1TB), so there is definitely a business focus to the Elite range. The software includes WDSync, WDBackup, MioNet and Google Apps. WDSync can run straight from the hard drive without the need for installation, enabling quick and easy syncing between two computers. WDBackup has to be installed on the computer, but provides an easy step-by-step backup process for both the hard drive's contents and the local drive.
MioNet is the standout product of the bundle. The application allows for local and remote access of the hard drive's contents through the Internet using web-based and integrated means. The program runs well, but the application has the same restrictions that we ran into with the My Book Office Edition (1TB). MioNet places restrictions on certain music and video file formats so that users can't access this material. While host users can access these files remotely using the same account, they cannot share this material with other users, severely limiting the application's potential use.
Western Digital has seen fit to include a very generous warranty with My Passport Elite. While most notebook and desktop external hard drives offer either one or three year warranties, the My Passport Elite has a five-year limited warranty that covers manufacturing and mechanical faults.
My Passport Elite improves on Western Digital's established range of portable notebook drives. Despite some minor flaws in the software, this drive is a great buy.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Intel's Core i9 and X299 enable crazy RAID configurations for a price
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTDirector ICT Programme Management Office – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTSmallworld Developer - GIS , Spatial data,Other
- TPSenior Communications ManagerACT
- FTIT Program SchedulerOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Maximo)NSW
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Microsoft SQL DesignerNSW
- TPIT Procurement Officer - Multiple PositionsQLD
- CCTechnical ArchitectQLD
- FTAdministration Support Officers - APS 5/6ACT
- FTProject OfficerSA
- FTBusiness Analyst - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTWorkforce AnalystOther
- FTRobotics & AI ConsultantOther
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCJunior Network Data Analyst - Telco - GISVIC
- FTSenior PHP Developer - Symfony 2QLD
- FTSales AssociateACT
- FTWintel Infrastructure EngineerACT
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - MoreeNSW
- FTSolution Architect - CloudQLD