"If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63."
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 is spell- and grammar-checking software.
- Application agnostic, improved interface
- Not foolproof
If you lack confidence in your writing skills, WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 may prove to be a boon. And General Writing stays just the right side of overpriced. But as with all such tools, caveats apply — don't rely on WhiteSmoke alone to make sure your copy is pristine.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 is spell- and grammar-checking software. It aims to improve upon WhiteSmoke 2008 with a revamped user interface, updated style-checking engine and relevant grammar corrections.
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 also adds error explanations to help you improve your writing. All flavours of WhiteSmoke 2009 include useful templates, English lessons and a dictionary.
The basic principles and price structure remain the same. The program comes in several flavours, from the US$79 WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009, through several packages aimed at specific areas of industry, up to the $249 Executive Package that contains them all. We tested General Writing.
WhiteSmoke is application agnostic. Whenever you're writing, it can be called upon by hitting F2. A WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 window appears, showing your copy with ‘errors' highlighted and suggested corrections. Should you desire, WhiteSmoke appears on the fly to offer assistance, but this is a little too Clippy for our liking, and we soon switched it off.
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009's user interface is a definite improvement, clearer and more intuitive. Errors are broken into three, colour-coded categories: spelling, grammar and style. If you're unsure of a grammar or style point, you can further investigate each error with WhiteSmoke's assistance.
Indisputably, WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 is a robust spellchecker. And it's UK-specific, unlike your word processor, we'd wager. WhiteSmoke is also a helpful grammar crutch, but it is by no means a panacea. And if you're shelling out over and above the cost of your office suite for a product such as this, it really should be.
For instance, in our tests, simple errors such as leaving no space after a fullstop were not picked up by WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009. And your OS's free text editor will do that.
Literal errors such as 'were' and 'where' can also slip through the WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 net. And your reviewer refuses to take style tips from a program that still fails on the less/fewer test. Must do better.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- 2 Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- 3 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 4 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- 5 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
Latest News Articles
- Bitdefender unveils new 2019 product line
- Opinion: Is Microsoft already killing off Windows 7?
- Google bring SMS to PCs with Android Messages for Desktop
- WWDC 2018: Apple gives us a first look at an all-new Mac App Store
- Budget 2018: Government seeks to boost Australian AI capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?