WhiteSmoke WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive
I can has good grammar?
- Pretty good at picking out definitive errors
- Unforgiving of any deviation from absolute best practice — even in 'Creative writing' mode
As a comfort blanket for checking documents before you send them on, WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive offers more than MS Word. It's full-featured and easy to use and picks up basic mistakes. But WhiteSmoke suffers from problems intrinsic to all automatic editors; without a human to make judgements, it will never be infallible. At $136.99 WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive seems a little expensive to us, but the $79 General Writing version may suite your needs just as well.
Price$ 136.99 (AUD)
The advent of the digital office and the demands of Web 2.0 have made copywriters of us all, regardless of occupation or grasp of grammar. WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive is software that aims to improve and edit your writing.
WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive checks your grammar and punctuation and uses what it calls 'text enrichment' to enhance your writing — although that enhancement is a matter of taste. WhiteSmoke comes in several flavours, from the basic $79 General Writing, to the Executive flavour we tested. WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive helps you check letters and emails in styles ranging from general, business and medical, to legal and creative writing.
Document templates are included in WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive, along with a dictionary and thesaurus, as well as an idiom checker and translation tool that includes 18 languages.
Once installed, using WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive is a cinch. You can use the program as a word processor, and when using any kind of text input, hitting F2 brings up a WhiteSmoke editing pane. The program checks the copy on the fly, so within a second or two you have WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive's suggested edits.
WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive highlights words it thinks you need to change. Each edit is colour coded: red for spelling, green for grammar and blue for enrichment. It really is a simple process.
It's not always a useful or even a reliable process, however. We liked the fact that despite being a download from a US website, WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive knows its favor from its favour (unlike your office suite, we'd wager). It's also pretty slick at verb/noun license/licence type conundrums, and we can vouch for its spellchecker capabilities. In terms of picking out definitive errors, WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive will serve you better than your word processor — although it criminally failed to spot when we incorrectly used 'less' instead of 'fewer'.
WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive then is not a panacea, so 'AutoCorrect' should be avoided. Proper nouns will fox it, for example. And WhiteSmoke has something of a mania for commas.
It's also unforgiving of any deviation from absolute best practice. This makes sense when writing legalise, for instance, but even when checking 'Creative writing' WhiteSmoke will pull out any instances of sentences starting with 'but' or 'and'. Indeed, when we test edited a 350-word review with WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive, the results were the same when checked for 'General', 'Business' and 'Creative writing'.
Which leads us to the 'text enrichment'. At any point you can ask WhiteSmoke 2008+ Executive to enhance any given part of your text. It's a nice concept, but computers aren't writers, and 'enriching' copy piecemeal is an odd process. Suffice to say that relying on software to add style to your copy is never a great idea.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Test Analyst - ContractOther
- FTLead Salesforce DeveloperOther
- TPQuality ManagerQLD
- FTSalesforce Consultant - SMEVIC
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- FTData Centre Server EngineerOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDevOps Developer- ElasticSearch, BitbucketOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial ServicesQLD
- TPSolution Architect - HealthQLD
- FTDevOps ManagerOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- FTHOGAN Technical ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- FTMid / Senior Level Functional Banking ConsultantsOther
- FTAgile Coach/Scrum MasterOther
- CCJava Developers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTFront-End DeveloperSA