Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo review
Possibly the best all-round drone for newcomers
- Good value
- Higher performance
- Reasonable camera
- Android app is a mess
If you've an iOS device this all rounder makes a great choice. It's neither too big, nor too small. It has all the important features. It's well-built and good value.
Price$ 700.00 (AUD)
Drones are fast becoming commoditised which is amazing considering the technology behind them. Even the little ones manage to stay impressively stable in a strong wind.
The Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo is probably best described as a mid-range unit with a Full HD camera gimbal. It’s too big to fly inside (unlike the nifty Parrot Mambo) but it’s too small to carry a massive camera rig. However, this also places it in the Goldilocks feature set of fast, responsive, with reasonable quality camera.
It has a range of 120m a flight time of 25 minutes and a zippy top speed of eight metres per second – it won’t win any races but it’s more than fast enough for most people.
Control is by a rechargeable dedicated remote control which comes with a WiFi range extender to enhance the range of the drone. The Xiro app is then installed on your phone. Some of it is intuitive and self-explanatory but other parts are not.
There are the usual two control sticks plus three main buttons – one for automatic take off and landing, one for resetting the orientation (useful for when the drone is a long way away from you and you need to be sure that forward still means forward). There’s also a return home button. When the battery is running low the remote will vibrate.
The drone has four sets of LEDs on each wing – two red and two green – which you can see from a considerable distance.
Manual flight is very responsive and intuitive with low swoops and fast reactions possible despite the not-inconsiderable bulk of the machine. It’s also very well built and weathered two somewhat-extreme crashes with the main chassis remaining intact (the same can’t be said for the fragile camera gimbal).
The Xiro app is hit and miss depending on which device you use. Functioanlity is extremely limited on the Android version of the app and doesn’t let you do much more than record photos and video. There is a GPS map feature but this never worked properly for us – it showed us GPS points on a blank map but that was it.
The iOS version is much better and more intuitive. It allows you to easily plot a route on a map and set heights for each waypoint. The app also lets you do cool things like track an object and then either follow it in a straight line or circle it.
The camera is impressively smooth and responsive and quality is generally good. It won’t match some of the best photos taken by drones with mounted SLRs, but you’ll still be able to get decent quality from some impressive vantage points.
At $700 for the full kit, it’s still reasonable value and not out of date considering that it’s been on the market some time. It’s worth having a look at Xiro’s own instructional videos to get an idea of whether it will suit your needs or not. Ultimately, at this price, with this feature set and level of performance we’re happy to say it’s one of the best all round drone packages in a crowded market. But only if you’re using iOS.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- This tiny drone can be carried and deployed by soldiers
- US Army shows off its 'hoverbike' delivery drone
- Pondering post-PC life, Intel dabbles in drones with $1,099 quadcopter
- Intel brought 300 drones to the Super Bowl
- The Ehang 184 personal drone is ready to fly
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTLead UX/UI DesignerOther
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTSenior Program AnalystOther
- FTSenior System AdministratorVIC
- TPAnalyst Program SupportVIC
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - CloudQLD
- FTJunior DeveloperOther
- CCMultiple Project Coordinators - TelcoVIC
- FTCitrix Designer / EngineerOther
- FTSystems EngineerOther
- FTOperations and Infrastructure Manager -NationalOther
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolaris Migration SpecialistACT
- TPBusiness Process AnalystVIC
- FTMobile Studio LeadOther
- FTPlatform/DevOps EngineerOther
- FTSenior Microsoft EngineerVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther