Yamaha BD-S671 Blu-ray player
Yamaha BD-S671 review: Well built, with basic features
- Every conceivable audio and video codec supported
- iPhone app control works well
- Networking is seamless
- Comparatively expensive
- No 'app' support
Yamaha's BD-S671 is an extremely well built and well designed Blu-ray player. We can't fault its operation, picture quality or industrial design. However, it doesn't have the same extensive feature-set as Blu-ray players available from mainstream brands like Sony, Samsung or LG.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The Yamaha BD-S671 is a very well built Blu-ray player with a basic feature-set. It doesn't have the diverse range of Internet and video-on-demand gubbins that you can find in Blu-ray players from LG, Sony or Samsung (and Panasonic, to an extent), but it has some network capabilities and we can't fault its Blu-ray or DVD picture quality as well as its interface or design.
Yamaha BD-S671: Design, connectivity and setup
The Yamaha BD-S671 is designed to look good alongside the company's hi-fi receivers. It's very solidly built and doesn't have any gaudy design cues — its two-tone brushed metal and plastic face is complemented by four very sturdy-looking milled aluminium feet. Unlike a lot of players currently on the market, the BD-S671 doesn't shy away from putting several buttons on its front — there are easily visible and accessible play, pause, stop, fast forward, rewind, eject and power buttons on the Yamaha BD-S671's front.
Around the back of the device, a small range of audio, video and multimedia ports can be found. There's HDMI — our choice for its Full HD video playback and audio support, obviously — as well as composite and component video. Both coaxial and optical digital audio outputs are available to directly connect an A/V receiver. There's also an Ethernet port for DLNA media sharing of video, audio and picture files — that same content can also be played directly from the Yamaha BD-S671's rear USB 2.0 port.
You can control the Yamaha BD-S671 with an iPhone app — convenient if you lose your remote control. The Yamaha AV Controller app is a free download from the App Store, and its most useful feature is the ability to scroll through your PC or Mac's shared media library, select a movie and play it on your TV via the BD-S671.
Yamaha BD-S671: Performance
The Yamaha BD-S671 starts up reasonably quickly, hitting the main menu of our test Terminator: Salvation and The Dark Knight Blu-ray discs in under 30 seconds. DVD movies start in under 10 seconds — understandable due to their simpler nature. The interface of the Yamaha BD-S671 is clean and easy to navigate using the bundled remote control, which itself is clearly laid out.
The Yamaha BD-S671 is able to display all the detail available in 1080p Full HD Blu-ray movies. While there is really only a small amount of difference in the image quality of most Blu-ray players on the market — most use the same components, AV processing and output stages — it comes down to players' differing abilities to upscale DVD video to choose between them. The Yamaha BD-S671 does a good job; its upscaling tends to be sharp but without introducing any jagginess or blocky artefacts.
Yamaha BD-S671: Conclusion
The Yamaha BD-S671 is expensive, $50 or more so than the top-specced Sony BDP-S580. It's likely to appeal most to those who already have Yamaha hi-fi equipment or who like the brand. Its interface and picture quality are good and the iPhone app control is a nifty extra. Anyone looking for Internet-enabled video on demand should look elsewhere, though.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactJSOther
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTMitel Unified Communication engineer.ACT
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)WA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- CCDeployment ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileQLD
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM CONSULTANT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- FTSQL DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC