Zensonic Z400 Media Player
- Nothing to report
- Requires PC configuration, interface is slow and ugly, remote control buttons are clumsy, music volume too low, picture galleries slow to render, no WMV support
Consider it an opportunity missed.
Price$ 369.00 (AUD)
The Zensonic Z400 Digital Network Home Media Player, much like the D-Link DSM-320, is a media streamer, taking movies, audio and pictures stored on a PC and displaying them on a TV set. It works over both wireless (802.11b/g) and Ethernet.
The PC needs to be configured to identify where media files are stored; a bundled remote is used to control the Z400 receiver and to select the music or video to be played.
For output, the Z400 supports coaxial digital audio, optical digital audio, composite audio and video, S-Video and component video. Its user interface is displayed on the television connected to the Z400. It supports a range of video, audio and image formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (and XviD), MP3 and JPEG. The Z400 doesn't play Windows Media (.WMV) video files.
The Z400's implementation leaves a lot to be desired. My 26-character wireless password was rejected with a curt message that passwords must have 26 characters. Even connected to a 100Mbps Ethernet network, the Z400 interface is slow--and also ugly. The buttons on the remote are clumsy, which makes setup rather frustrating.
Music played at a much lower volume than expected. Picture galleries were slow to render and to navigate. An MPEG movie that is fine on a PC played back at several times the normal speed; one AVI video clip wouldn't play, and the video and audio tracks were played out of sync in another. The Z400 is clearly not yet ready for prime time.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSAP ISU Device ManagementNSW
- FTSolution LeadWA
- FTDevOps ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Node.js DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Designer (Drupal 7)Other
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystQLD
- TPSAP Solutions Architect|Project ManagerQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerOther
- FTDigital Business Analyst| 6 month contract roleOther
- CCTechnical Specialist - Cloud ServicesVIC
- CCCore Java Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 1 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- TPStakeholder Engagement Specialist - Change Manager - HealthQLD
- TP.Net Developer - 5 weeks contract - START NOWQLD
- CCSecurity Solution Architect - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSolution Architect (Office 365 Specialist) - Adelaide BasedSA
- FT4 X Gun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTNetwork Consulting ArchitectVIC
- FTSupport AnalystOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSupply Chain Management Business ArchitectQLD
- FTHelpdesk AnalystOther
- FTOffice Manager / PAOther