Microsoft put eye-catching hardware on when it launched Windows 7. From netbooks and ultrathins to standard-size laptops and All-in-One touchscreen PCs, here's a closer look at some of the shiniest new Windows 7 machines.
Desktop PCs - Slideshows
2009 was a blockbuster year financially for Apple but delivered some blows including a serious health problem for the company's beloved leader, Steve Jobs, attack from clone makers, and trouble with Google. We offer the Top 10 biggest stories for Apple in 2009.
Stocking stuffers and great gift ideas for young and old this Christmas
Grab a Macbook Pro bargain at the Apple store, plus other great deals on a Panasonic LUMIX camera, a Sony camcorder and more!
Contribute to projects including the LHC, climate forecasting, projects that benefit humanity, target disease cures and more.
Google's Chrome OS is designed purely to run Web-based applications, rather than software installed on a system's hard drive. At Thursday's Chrome OS event, Google claimed the new operating system's boot-up speed is a lightning-fast 7 seconds. The Chrome OS will not be available to consumers until 2010 around the holiday season, according to Google.
Pick up an excellent Android smartphone, fast mobile broadband or a ridiculously cheap Sony LCD TV.
Microsoft put eye-catching hardware on display at last week's Windows 7 launch event. From netbooks and ultrathins to standard-size laptops and All-in-One touchscreen PCs, here's a closer look at some of the shiniest new Windows 7 machines.
Alienware has announced the availability of five new gaming systems for the Australian market. Among the new models are a powerful 15in gaming notebook -- the Alienware M15x -- as well as four liquid-cooled Intel Core i7-equipped desktop systems.
Windows 7 is finally here, leaping off retail shelves in little blue- and green- and black-lined plastic containers. This time the launch had no Hamish and Andy, or Rove to spruik the software, and no Rolling Stones or Rogue Traders to start up the party. This time Microsoft decided to let Windows 7's speak for itself — with less whiz, more bang.
Midnight buyer snags Windows 7 Home Premium
At KansasFest 2009, held July 21 to 26 in Kansas City, Mo., retrocomputing fans from around the world gathered to celebrate the Apple II, the computer that launched Apple Computer Inc. to fame.
Snow Leopard’s Finder and Windows 7’s Explorer have strikingly similar interfaces, with quick-search fields in the upper-right corner, path bars (OS X’s is optional and can be switched on in the View menu), and sidebars that provide easy access to various common locations on your computer.
No so long ago, the computer geek was confined to the back rooms and basements of companies everywhere.
"The Active Desk," was a touch-screen device developed in 1992 at the University of Toronto.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Intel's modular Compute Card puts a PC in your pocket
- Dell’s Inspiron 27 7000 is the first Ryzen All-in-One PC, and it's upgradable too
- Nvidia's new generation of powerful GeForce GTX Battlebox PCs finally embraces AMD
- The Pi Desktop kit transforms your Raspberry Pi into a stylish, SSD-powered mini-PC
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTCloud Specialist/SME - TelcoOther
- FTProject Manager- Infrastructure & cloud computingOther
- FTProject Manager (Service Management)SA
- FTSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonOther
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- CCDeveloper - ASP.Net - Sencha Ext JSVIC
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- FTBizTalk Technical LeadQLD
- FTWeb DeveloperOther
- FTSAP Project ManagerOther
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD
- FTLead UX/UI DesignerOther
- FTLevel 3- Production Support Team LeaderACT
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantOther
- FTData DeveloperOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - DigitalOther
- CCSolutions Designer / Technology LeadNSW
- FTSenior Analyst/Delivery LeadOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- CCPrincipal Java DeveloperQLD
- CCJunior - Mid-level Devops ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD