The fight for the living room is heating up with Apple recently upping the ante with the reboot of the Apple TV and telecommunications giant, Telstra, making moves of its own with the release of the Roku powered Telstra TV.
The Apple TV is a great networked media player, but it would be greater still if it supported more file types and played from more locations. By locations, I mean over the network from something other than an iTunes server, and—oh, I don’t know—an attached USB drive?
The WD TV is a media player savvy enough to jump online with a friendly retail price of $150. It consists of a box the size of a hard drive and one of the most ingeniously laid out remote controls.
Though otherwise a fairly standard NAS box, the AS-304T’s HDMI output and USB keyboard/mouse support allow it to function as a full-featured XMBC media centre.
Western Digital's NAS-optimised 'WD Red' drives are now available in 2.5-inch models at 750GB and 1TB, and a new 4TB model pushes up the maximum capacity of the existing 3.5-inch range.
The Acer Revo 100 is a home-theatre PC that actually looks and feels like a home-theatre PC. It has a slim body that doesn't take up a lot of space and it contains only essential ports and slots, thereby making it look inconspicuous in a typical TV cabinet, or indeed when placed next to a TV. It even has a built-in navigation device that can be removed from the PC and used in place of a desktop-style keyboard and mouse.
The Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link Director Edition offers all the features one would expect – in terms of supported multimedia file formats, extra USB ports, wired and optional wireless networking, internet connectivity, usability of UI and remote, and quality of playback of 1080p videos.
The ASRock Ion 330HT-BD is a 'nettop' desktop PC with Intel's Atom 330 1.6GHz dual-core processor and NVIDIA ION integrated graphics. It has hardware acceleration to play back 1080p Blu-ray video free of any stuttering or buffering, and the integrated graphics are good enough for some limited gaming.
Western Digital's WD TV Mini high media player might be small, but it can be used to access most types of video, audio or photo files from a USB external hard drive. Though lacking HDMI, the WD TV Mini is a perfect match for older televisions or those that have a spare component input.
The Seagate FreeAgent Theater is a media player designed to connect your Seagate FreeAgent Go external hard drive to a television for photo, audio and video playback
The High Court of Australia's decision regarding the legality of the reproduction of Channel Nine's television programming guide by third-party provider IceTV will be handed down tomorrow morning at 10:15 EST.
Claritas is a company that’s dedicated to building powerful, high quality media centre PCs. Its latest, the 14.2 VFD, is a product that has plenty of power, great looks and exemplary build quality.
Iomega is a company best known for its storage solutions — capacious, speedy devices with plenty of connectivity. The ScreenPlay HD stays true to this ethos, but doesn’t back it up with much in the way of media playback support.
Devices such as the LinkSYS Media Center Extender with DVD Player DMA2200 enable you to connect your television to your computer via a home network and control Media Center from the comfort of your couch
Read on to find out how to consolidate all your home entertainment and PC needs into one solution.
With no financial or accounting background it can be tricky for small business owners to get on top of their financials. Reckon One can help you overcome this challenge.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- WD Red range gains new 2.5-inch and 4TB models
- IceTV High Court decision to be handed down tomorrow morning
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTCommercial Contracts ManagerOther
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - L1Other
- FTSAP Environment LeadQLD
- FTSenior Marketing Manager | Global Technology CompanyNSW
- FTPlatform/Technology Manager | Security & GovernanceOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCGuidewire Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst- Online/Website application developmentOther
- CCProject Manager - Testing Program - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior UX SpecialistVIC
- CCData AnalystACT
- FTOrganisation Change ManagerOther
- FTIntegration Technical SpecialistOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTFront End Developer (Mid-Level)Other
- FTSAP Data Migration Specialists. Work Location - CanberraOther
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- FTProcurement Officer (GITC)Other
- CCJunior Business Process Analyst - Part timeQLD
- CCMid-Level Business AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Agile & Digital FocusOther