Not so long ago, the only way to see whether Linux would run on a particular PC was to install the OS on its hard drive. Times change. Nowadays, many so-called live CD versions of Linux boot and run solely from a CD-ROM. Ubuntu Linux, our 2005 World ...
LinuxWorld.com.au - Tutorials
One of the many neat things about free software is that you get to play with stuff before it's officially done. Matthew Newton sinks his teeth into Sun Microsystems' latest.
Matthew Newton gives his recommendations for those of us who are thinking of taking the Linux plunge, but need a little coaxing.
Our free software guru looks at new software for his desktop - some of which he can run, some of which he can't.
Taking Linux and installing it on an alternative hardware platform may not be easy, but you can learn a lot from the experience.
It may lack an all-in-one solution like Apple's iPhoto, but there are tools that make using a digital camera with Linux easy.
Microsoft Exchange is a standard groupware platform in many corporate environments, but it needn't be limited to just Windows.
Not all digital TV cards are supported by Linux, but the Hauppauge NOVA-T is. What's more, it's the only one to allow digital TV streaming across a network.
Six years ago this month Linux became my primary operating system; it happened almost overnight. The startup company I had been working for imploded. I was at home, working on my resume, when my Windows PC crashed for the umpteenth time. I knew a bit...
NFS (Network File System) is a protocol used by UNIX/Linux computers to share disks across a network. Similar to the Common Internet File Services (CIFS) protocol used by Windows, NFS is older and more light-weight, and performs much more efficiently...
If you use several computers connected on a network, it can become a hassle to keep track of the usernames and passwords you use to access each machine. NIS (Network Information Service) lets you to keep a centralised database of usernames and passwo...
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- LinuxWorld: Community roots bolster Linux growth
- Ubuntu: laptop killer
- SourceForge heads from one-stop shop to Mega-market
- Windows to desktop Linux in three easy steps
- Consultant: Microsoft responds to Open Source leadership
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSystem Engineer - Level 2NSW
- FTJunior Network EngineerNSW
- CCLead SAP SRM DeveloperACT
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- FTSenior / Lead AEM DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Drupal Developer / ArchitectQLD
- CCData Migration ManagerQLD
- CCTechnical Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Digitalisation projectsQLD
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTNetwork Services ManagerQLD
- TPIT Business Analyst (UX Design)NSW
- FTSenior BANSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- CCWintel Engineers - NV1ACT
- FTWeb User Interface Developer. Work Location - CanberraNSW
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- FTResponsive Design Developer, Frontend, PHP, WordpressNSW
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCCloud Infrastructure SpecialistNSW