As anticipated, Microsoft this afternoon announced that it had finished work on Windows 7, declaring that the new operating system had met the "release to manufacturing" (RTM) milestone.
Notebooks - News
Microsoft has announced this afternoon that Windows 7 has been released to manufacturing. In other words, Windows 7 development has wrapped up, and it'll now go on to PC manufacturers so they can prepare for October's Windows 7 launch.
Microsoft on Tuesday detailed upgrade paths from old Windows editions to its upcoming Windows 7 OS, saying that Europeans will not be able to directly upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7.
Microsoft on Tuesday detailed how its partners and business customers can get their hands on Windows 7 RTM (release to manufacturing) code, which will be available next month on different days for different sets of users.
Sales of Apple's laptops in the U.S. surged 25% in June compared to June 2008, a retail market analyst said today.
The price of DRAM computer memory chips is on the rise as global PC makers gear up for back-to-school and holiday sales later this year, which could be stronger than expected due to the arrival of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system.
In an historic move, Microsoft Monday submitted driver source code for inclusion in the Linux kernel under a GPLv2 license.
Windows 7 and Microsoft's new search engine, Bing, will be under close watch when the company reports its financial earnings this week.
Advanced Micro Devices is getting ready to put Neo chips in low-power desktop products, upping the ante in its battle with rival Intel, which offers processors for similar devices.
Microsoft may find it tough to convince netbook users running the low-end Windows 7 Starter to later upgrade to a more expensive edition, a retail market analyst said Saturday.
Microsoft's upcoming retail stores won't just be similar in concept to Apple's -- they'll also be similar in location. Microsoft will open its retail stores near Apple's existing locations, a company spokesperson confirms, possibly even as close as r...
Demand for IT professionals with strong Linux skills will surge as a result of Google's upcoming release of the Chrome operating system, according to recruitment agency CV Screen.
PC shipments were slightly stronger than expected in the second quarter, propped up by consumer spending and lower prices, according to IDC research released on Wednesday.
Opera Software, the Norwegian browser maker that sparked an antitrust investigation into Microsoft business practices in Europe, remains dissatisfied with its rival's move to dump IE8 from Windows 7.
Microsoft gave an update on Windows 7 this week, outlining a timeline for the release of the upcoming operating system to manufacturers. The company noted that you shouldn't "believe everything you read on the Internet" and proceeded to set the recor...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10's power-throttling feature will benefit battery-hungry laptops
- Microsoft's next Surface may be a Chromebook competitor for schools
- US says laptop ban may expand to more airports
- Intel's Cannonlake PC chip shipments may slip into next year
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global Ecommerce BrandNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSCRUM Master / Project Manager, CX, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- CCCommercial ManagerVIC
- CCSenior System AdministratorQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution Architect (Voice/DATA/Network)SA
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst -Port MacquarieNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)VIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- CCBusiness Analyst (Mid-level)VIC
- TPWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer - CCNP - WeipaQLD
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- TPPrincipal Project Officer - ReportingQLD
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- TPIteration Lead - .NetQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA