Microsoft has warned users updating to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) that they won't be able to downgrade from Internet Explorer 7 to the older IE6 without uninstalling the service pack.
Notebooks - News
A Web measurement firm Wednesday blamed a massive online marketing campaign aimed only at nternet Explorer (IE) users for skewing its April data, which said Mozilla's Firefox and Apple's Safari had lost significant amounts of market share.
Researchers at Princeton University this week reported that they have found a way to literally melt away miniscule defects in computer chips, a discovery that could help manufacturers build more powerful processors.
A virtual uprising that broke out among developers questioning One Laptop Per Child's commitment to open-source software has prompted an official from the nonprofit effort to play peacemaker.
Advanced Micro Devices needs to more than double its share of the microprocessor market to survive, according to a brief filed by the company's lawyers in its antitrust lawsuit against Intel.
Microsoft Tuesday began offering Windows XP SP3 on its automatic download Web sites and resumed automatic downloads of Vista SP1 after compatibility issues arose last week.
Chip makers Intel, Samsung Electronics and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. announced Monday that they will collaborate to move chip manufacturing onto larger silicon wafers by 2012.
In what is sure to become more fodder for Mac vs. PC ads, Consumer Reports' latest tech-support survey shows that Apple has the best help-desk support for both laptop and desktop systems.
A shortage of lithium-ion batteries currently hurting laptop computer shipments will likely ease in the third quarter, said the head of the world's largest independent notebook battery maker.
Microsoft over the weekend announced that it had posted what it called "slipstream builds" of Windows XP Service Pack 3 for download by subscribers of its IT professional and developer services.
The One Laptop Per Child Project appointed a new president and chief operating officer on Friday to run daily operations at the nonprofit effort, sending a signal that it could be recovering from the loss of top personnel over the past few months.
Dell said it has stopped shipment of two Vostro laptop models in Europe after discovering a faulty keyboard design with a few keys out of place.
Early demand for an Intel chip that's being designed for small laptops and desktops is so much higher than anticipated, the company has been forced to ramp up pre-release production.
Dell's retail partnership with OfficeWorks to deliver its range desktop PCs and laptops will offer Australian customers the chance to configure their own Dell machines in selected OfficeWorks stores - but Ubuntu Linux will not be on offer just yet.
Asustek Computer on Wednesday forecast it will nearly double shipments of the popular Eee PC low-cost laptop in the second quarter, compared to the first.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Asus debuts the first-ever Ryzen laptop with a mobile Radeon surprise, too
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Contracts Administrator- Construction BackgroundOther
- CCCloud Orchestration SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerOther
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskOther
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerOther
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- CCReporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- TPDemand Analysis ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Veeam / Shadow ProtectOther
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- CCSecurity TesterNSW
- FTUser Experience Researcher - UX, UI, UCDOther
- CCCommercial & Public Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTSoftware Asset Management Co-ordinatorOther
- FTSolution Architect - DatacentreVIC
- CCICT Training ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer (IPS & Firewall exp essential) - Perm - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTManager - Program Management Office (PMO)Other
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- FTSecurity Service Desk Operative - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther