Seagate is getting closer to reaching its goal of making 20TB hard drives by 2020.
Hard Disk Drives (Internal)
Samsung keeps raising the ante on PCIe SSD performance. The 960 Pro can read faster than 2.5GBps and write faster than 1.5GBps.
Seagate brings back the Barracuda Pro with 10TB of storage and 7,200rpm speed.
While Seagate is lagging behind the world in SSDs it is stretching the imagination when it comes to building mechanical hard disks for different functions. In addition to the regular 3.5-inch desktop drives and 2.5-inch ‘laptop’ drives there are now hybrid versions with multiple gigabytes of NAND RAM to give SSD-like boosts in certain circumstances, drives optimised for NAS, drives optimised for Enterprise NAS and drives optimised for Security Cameras.
Seagate’s Solid State Hybrid Drives (SSHD) have been around for a while. They are 2.5-inch form-factor mechanical hard disks but with an extra-large portion of ‘intelligent’ solid-state memory which, under the right circumstances, give SSD-like performance.
Western Digital's NAS-optimised 'WD Red' drives are now available in 2.5-inch models at 750GB and 1TB, and a new 4TB model pushes up the maximum capacity of the existing 3.5-inch range.
There's something special about installing what is arguably one of the fastest, most sophisticated solid-state disk (SSD) drives in your average Dell laptop. It's a little like stuffing a big-block V8 into a Chevy Chevette -- you get amazing performance, but no matter how hard you try, you can't justify the cash you just shelled out in order to go really fast.
Anyone with a cheap data recovery program can recover your recently deleted files — even if you've emptied the recycle bin. They can also get files off a freshly-formatted hard drive. So if you want to be absolutely certain that your old PC's new owner won't get your private information, you need to wipe the sensitive files by overwriting them with new 1s and 0s.
Samsung's new PB22-J 256GB solid-state disk (SSD) promises a goodly amount of storage and high performance for the well-heeled notebook user.
In my quest to test all of the latest high-capacity consumer solid-state disk (SSD) drives, I came upon OCZ Technology's Apex SATA II SSD and was impressed not so much with its performance -- though you will see a boost when using it -- as with its price.
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) is a 500GB 2.5in hard drive with a spin speed of 7200rpm and a 16MB cache. Despite being small enough to fit in a laptop drive bay it is faster than many 3.5in hard drives designed for desktop PCs.
Western Digital has managed to fit 2TB of storage in a single hard drive. The Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EADS) has a competitive cost per gigabyte of storage, although there are faster hard drives available.
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Seagate's roadmap includes 14TB, 16TB hard drives within 18 months
- Seagate's 10TB Barracuda Pro is the world's largest consumer hard drive
- WD Red range gains new 2.5-inch and 4TB models
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTProject Manager - Financial Forecasting SystemsNSW
- TPIT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- FTOracle eBusiness Functional Consultant. (Procurement)NSW
- TPUnix- Technical Support OfficerVIC
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!ACT
- FTSenior Network Specialist - Internet Edge DatacentreVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Team LeadQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTData Storage Support Consultant (EMC)QLD
- TPTechnical Analyst - 6 Month Contract - Great Rates Of PayNSW
- CCBig Data Developer - Government - 12 Month Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCSenior Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTJava Development Lead/ / Senior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCDeployment GraduatesSA
- FTFull Stack Software DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager -Wealth/Funds Management SoftwareVIC
- FTDocumentation AnalystNSW
- FTTest AdvertSA
- CCIT Business Analyst - UX DesignNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Application Developement and IntegrationQLD