Minor relief is in sight next year, when prices of memory and NAND flash will start to gradually decline. But prices will plummet big time in 2019, said Jon Erensen, research director for semiconductors at Gartner.
Servers & Storage
The NVMe interconnect should allow for bigger and denser flash modules and faster application performance. Pure Storage is tapping into this potential with its new FlashArray//X.
Before release, Intel gave Optane SSDs to a select few who had a chance to get their hands dirty with the new technology for over a year.
For those who have wondered where I had gotten to, or why I hadn't been posting much (read: at all) there's a reasonable explanation. A few months ago I made the decision to run away from the circus that is yachting and gallivanting around St. Barts and St Tropez and instead I flew back to a city I hadn't lived in for over 15 years. Back to little old Auckland. It’s all a learning curve, right?
The new LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton, an award-winning Scottish product designer. It’s nice to see a rugged portable hard drive with function and form.
WD today announced its densest 3D NAND -- a 64-layer product that it plans to begin shipping later this year.
We visited Cisco’s new Office in North Sydney. And we were envious. In this open plan environment with over 450 employees, Cisco doesn’t run out of room despite technically only providing under 200 desks. People can work where they want, use meeting rooms when they want, use big 4K monitors and sit down on $1500 chairs – or business class-like aeroplane loungers.
Synology's DS216play NAS is a middling performer, but there's no better NAS box available for media streaming and 4K transcoding.
Seagate's Personal Cloud 3TB NAS is only a single-bay NAS, but $140 for 3TB of storage and advanced software features is a steal.
QNAP's TS-251A NAS has the ability to output video directly to an external 1080 display and is a great media streamer. The advertised on-the-fly 4K transcoding, on the other hand, proved to be weak.
Zyxel's NAS220 is an affordable NAS box with good streaming and backup features, but it's a bit less refined than mainstream users would want.
For a NAS box with a boatload of software features and top-notch performance, the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra is amazingly affordable.
With a boatload of pro features and excellent performance, this is a box better suited for the small office than the home, but it streams as smoothly as any of its rivals.
TerraMaster's FS-220 is relatively new to the NAS category, but it's a great performer with a promising interface.
These are the top rated storage products we've tested in the last year.
Get into your productive zone with the right business tool
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Apple will return heat generated by data center to warm up homes
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- Surveys show high hopes, deep concerns about IoT
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCEngineer/Developer - Comptel - TelcoVIC
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTUI/UX DesignerSA
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsSA
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)QLD
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTSolution Architect x 2 (ETL/SSIS)NSW
- CCEnd User Services ArchitectNSW
- CCSoftware ManagerVIC
- FTAsst. Director - Claim Analysis. Work Location - CanberraACT
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPSAP Supply Lead - MM/LogisticsQLD
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure / LogisticsNSW
- CCSenior Devops EngineerVIC
- CCAMI ArchitectWA
- TPService Desk OperatorQLD
- TPProject/Deployment ManagerQLD
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD