Avira's AntiVir Premium Edition lacks an advanced malware detection feature used by top programs, and it could use a smoother interface. The program earned a seventh-place ranking in our current stand-alone antivirus roundup.
Security - Reviews
Kaspersky's pairs competent proactive protection with below-average signature detection, and a strong feature set with an at-times annoying user experience.
Most security programs use a single antivirus engine, but the German-made G Data (US$25 for a one-year, single-PC license) uses two separate engines: BitDefender and Avast. That double coverage may have helped it rack up an impressive 99.95 percent b...
Symantec's Norton AntiVirus ($60 for a one-year, single-PC license) offers some terrific extra features and a polished user interface. But subpar performance in one detection category prevented it from capturing the top spot in our chart of stand-alo...
McAfee's whitelisting protection for Windows, Linux, and Solaris is a software tool that allows network admins to restrict users' ability to mess up their own PCs - McAfee Application Control 5.0.
Western Digital's refreshed My Book Elite 2TB external hard drive offers intuitive backup options, 256-bit AES hardware encryption, and an e-ink capacity indicator. However, there are faster USB 2.0-based external hard drives that have passed through...
It has been more than a year-and-a-half since I last reviewed an IronKey secure USB flash drive, so when the company sent one my way with a few new features I jumped at the chance to see if there had been any major improvements over the last version ...
WatchGuard's Firebox Peak X5500e is a strong, manageable firewall and the fastest in our test, but complexity and weak attack protection hold it back
The Ad-Aware series of products have long been known primarily for Ad-Aware Free, a famous and free piece of anti-spyware software.
Western Digital's My Passport Essential SE is currently the only portable external hard drive to boast a whopping 1TB of storage space. Despite this, it is one of the smallest hard drives around and it is quite speedy, too.
Take a quick glance at the just-released Norton Internet Security 2010, and you won't notice much of a difference from previous incarnations — the interface and feature set are so similar that it appears that only very minimal changes have been...
Comodo Internet Security, the free version of Comodo Internet Security Pro, comprises both a firewall and an antivirus utility.
AVG Technology's AVG 8.5 Anti-Virus Free antivirus app has solid features and a generally polished interface, but its relatively lacklustre showing at malware detection is a disappointment.
PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 is a free behaviour-based antivirus utility that serves as a great supplement to your existing security software, offering superb behaviour-based detection.
ClamWin Free Antivirus stands apart from other free antivirus software because it's open-source, with no proprietary or commercial aspects. But in the essential task of blocking malware, it doesn't get the job done.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
- Old Windows PCs can stop WannaCry ransomware with new Microsoft patch
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- FTDigital Business Analyst - MediaOther
- FTSenior Policy OfficerOther
- FTSenior HFC EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTWintel Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCSAP MM Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Cerner Applications SpecialistOther
- FTUX/CX LeadOther
- TPProject Coordinator / Junior Project ManagerQLD
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTLead Network EngineerOther
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- FTProject Manager-Rail/ Telecommunication /Electrical engineeringOther
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- CCAPI Platform EngineerNSW
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTERP Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - SMEOther
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD