Over the years, people have tried to transfer information from one computer to another in a dizzying number of ways. Here's a look at some of the best, along with others that time forgot.
Servers & Storage - Features
Like the unfortunate person who continually diets but only seems to gain more weight, power-hungry data centers -- despite adopting virtualization and power management techniques -- only seem to be consuming more energy than ever, to judge from some ...
At 10,000-rpm, the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX drive certainly spins faster than the competition. But does faster rotations-per-minute translate into faster performance? The PC World Lab's tests show this drive may not have as much advant...
If you're like many small business owners, the news that Microsoft is weeks away from the release of a new version of SQL Server 2008 could seem utterly irrelevant to your interests. But it isn't. Microsoft has added important new features in this ve...
We round up the best tech bargains of the week, including a Samsung smartphone that records HD video, a Sharp television that doubles as a Blu-ray player and a massive Harvey Norman sale!
BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone, Garmin nuvi 225W GPS, Medion Akoya E4360 D desktop PC from ALDI, and more!
Chip giant Intel won first place in a ranking of flash memory-based Solid State Drives (SSDs), in which the researcher, DRAMeXchange Technology, pilloried the industry over the wide disparity of quality among the storage devices.
Pick up some great bargains.
This past January, the health organisation Kaiser Permanente reported a theft of an external hard drive from an employee's car. The hard drive contained data on about 15,500 Northern California patients, including their full names, medical record n...
Lock down your PC.
No-cost utilities and services can help you find, organize, and wrangle your media files--or enjoy some great video online.
To understand why I love the tiny, free FlashFire utility/driver, you'll need a little background. I bought an original Acer Aspire One netbook with an 8GB solid state drive instead of a hard drive to keep the weight down. I replaced its custom Linux...
Best deals of the week: 19 February
In 1986, Attorney Nicholas Barrett founded <a href="http://www.nbalaw.com/">Nicholas Barrett & Associates</a> with just himself and an assistant running the business. But over the last 24 years, that small two-person office has grown into a bustl...
Check out some of the great tech bargains we've rounded up.
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW
- TPApplication DeveloperACT
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- FTDigital Support ConsultantSA
- TPAnalyst Programmer (.Net)SA
- CCICT Strategist and AdvisorNSW
- CCTechnical Project ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTSoftware Tech Lead - C++ Back Office Trading SystemsNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- CCOrganisational Change LeadNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!WA
- FTSolution Architect - StorageVIC
- FTService Desk Operators (Part time and Full Time)SA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTGraduate Software EngineerNSW
- FTDatabase Administrator - OracleQLD
- CCNetwork and Cloud SMENSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectSA