Microsoft may take aim at Chromebooks' dominance in schools with an inexpensive Surface and cloud-based Windows.
Microsoft's smash sandbox is expanding to more schools, and teachers claim real benefits.
Software as a Service solutions: The key to maintaining Australia’s competitiveness in higher education
Australian tertiary educations are larger, more international and more prestigious than ever. The country boasts seven of the world’s top 100 universities, and 10 more that rank among the world’s top 300. In 2015, there were 498,155 international students on a student visa in Australia; that’s 10 per cent more than in the previous year, making education Australia’s largest service export. During the same year, 31,912 Australian students from 34 universities left to study abroad.
Prospective university students are faced with steep fees and difficult choices when it comes to enrolling into a course – their pool of choice has overflowed in recent years to include not just local universities and TAFEs, but also overseas, online, remote learning and even non-government supported education options.
They are highly paid and highly sought after, and have opportunities to work for some of the world’s largest and progressive companies. And yet, every year the ICT industry is crying out for skilled employees. So why aren’t more Australian kids coding?
On the Internet, "nobody knows you're a dog," as the old meme goes, and today, the same can increasingly be said of robots.
There is strong concern for the lack of STEM skills across the nation and HP and Intel partnered to champion focus on tackling this issue.
STEM skills should be taught at a much younger age if there is any hope of filling the growing skills gap, according to Hays Recruitment's A/NZ boss, Nick Deligiannis.
Prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has hailed the University of New South Wales’ quantum computing research as the “best in the world.”
The youth and ICT industry and education leaders are concerned about the slow adoption of STEM subjects in schools. That was the main message raised across a panel of speakers at the Data61 2016 conference.
Year 12 student, Laura Johnston, chose not to pick a single STEM subject to study for her higher school certificate because she didn’t want to ruin her Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR).
There are plenty of Reading iPhone and iPad apps for children but most stick to pronouncing B as "bee" rather than the phonic "ber".
There are plenty of Reading iPhone and iPad apps for children but most stick to pronouncing B as “bee” rather than the phonic “ber”.
Reading books on computer displays may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Amazon Kindle for PC handles the basics of its job well.
Rosetta Stone is a comprehensive computer-based tutor for learning a foreign language. It expects no previous knowledge or experience in learning your target language, or even in languages in general, instead relying on a purely visual stimulus approach of discovering vocabulary and grammar - just the same as we all did when we learnt our mother tongue as infants.
Need to print on the go? The HP OfficeJet offers that and more. Read a user’s experience on this multi-purpose printer.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's next Surface may be a Chromebook competitor for schools
- These graduate students had no idea their teaching assistant was a robot
- HP partners with Intel to invigorate STEM (+4 photos)
- Pushing STEM in high school is too little, too late
- Turnbull touts UNSW’s quantum capability as “world’s best”
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBusiness Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst Forecaster - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- FTWeb Developer | Parramatta | Initial 6 month contractNSW
- TPPrincipal Project Officer - ReportingQLD
- TPEOI - Developer/Tester/Software EngineerACT
- CCSystems Administrator - Cloud, Azure and LinuxQLD
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- FTSenior Information Security SpecialistQLD
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent job . ACT LocationACT
- FTFinance Analyst with Accounting | 8 Month ContractVIC
- TPSenior SQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTIT Security RolesACT
- FTCampaign ManagerNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- FTReporting DeveloperSA