In an open letter to Google, the Free Software Foundation has urged Google to open source a video codec that it acquired in its purchase of On2, completed Monday.
Software and Services - News
Google has finished its acquisition of video-compression-technology vendor On2 Technologies, boosting its efforts in online video.
I've been a keyboard shortcut fan for a long time. Sure, icons and eye candy have their place -- I'd rather double-click an icon than, say, type run c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12\Winword.exe. On the other hand, I'd sure rather click a f...
Most Windows 7 PCs max out their memory, resulting in performance bottlenecks, a researcher said today.
The Microsoft executive who managed the company's Trustworthy Computing security program has left for a new role at Amazon.
Some Mac users blasted Microsoft's plan to "ribbonize" the next version of Office for the Mac, while others -- many of whom said they also use the productivity suite on Windows -- defended the move.
The latest version of OpenOffice fixes several vulnerabilities that could cause a computer to become compromised by a remote attacker.
The open source engine that forms the basis for Google's Chrome has spawned an ostensibly new browser, Comodo's cleverly named 'Dragon'.
Google will soon add the capability to play Flash videos to its Android mobile phone OS, Google product manager Eric Tseng announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
Macworld Expo without Apple is a smaller, lower-key affair, but that hasn't kept Apple enthusiasts from attending the show. The show floor is as packed with attendees as ever, despite Apple's absence. And in a sense, the lack of Apple isn't such a ba...
The Internet advocate who blasted Microsoft in 2006 over the daily "phone home" habits of its anti-piracy software took the company to task again today for a new practice that will examine consumers' Windows 7 PCs every 90 days to make sure they're r...
A hard-to-detect rootkit may be causing Windows XP systems to crash following Microsoft's latest security updates.
Skyfire plans to extend its browser to the Android mobile platform after acquiring Kolbysoft, the maker of the Steel browser interface for Android.
Microsoft today said it will soon feed Windows 7 users an update that detects illegal copies installed using more than 70 different activation cracks.
Opera Software plans to demo a version of its Opera Mini browser for the iPhone at the Mobile World Congress show in Barcelona next week. Opera Mini will offer faster browsing than Apple's Safari, which ships on iPhones, Opera said Wednesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- FTProject Manager - Multiple rolesQLD
- CCSenior Java Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSCRUM Master / Project Manager, CX, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSenior UNIX AdministratorNSW
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTFront-end Developer (UX/UI)NSW
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTProject Coordinator ($280-$300 per day)NSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTPMO - Master SchedulerVIC
- CCSystems Engineer - WintelQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth InvestmentNSW
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - GISQLD
- CCCommercial ManagerVIC