Antivirus vendor Avast Software has agreed to buy rival AVG Technologies for US$1.3 billion in cash.
Malwarebytes said it may take three to four weeks to fix flaws in its consumer product found by Google security researcher Tavis Ormandy.
A banking trojan, known for its small size but powerful capabilities, has expanded the number of financial institutions it can collect data from, according to security vendor Avast.
A type of malware called Reveton, which falsely warns users they've broken the law and demands payment of a fine, has been upgraded with powerful password stealing functions, according to Avast.
It's generally accepted that antivirus programs provide a necessary protection layer, but organizations should audit such products before deploying them on their systems because many of them contain serious vulnerabilities, a researcher warned.
Victims of Simplocker, the first file-encrypting ransomware threat for Android devices, can recover files without paying cybercriminals because the malicious program uses a hardcoded encryption key.
Prague-based antivirus company, Avast, said, on Monday, it took its community forum offline after a data breach, but payment information was not compromised.
Fresh statistics from the maker of a widely used free security product show the extent to which users are encountering file-encrypting malware known as ransomware.
Microsoft has toughened its criteria for classifying programs as adware and gave developers three months to conform with the new principles or risk having their programs blocked by the company's security products.
A new piece of information-stealing malware that appeared earlier this year has been rapidly gaining traction during the past few weeks, with hundreds of infection attempts being detected every day by antivirus vendors.
Although the number of malicious browser extensions has significantly increased in the past year many security products fail to offer adequate protection against them, while others are simply not designed to do so, according to a security researcher.
An analysis of a piece of Android spyware targeting a prominent Tibetan political figure suggests it may have been built to figure out the victim's exact location.
Security researchers warn that cybercriminals have started using Java exploits signed with digital certificates to trick users into allowing the malicious code to run inside browsers.
The website for Reporters Without Borders was booby-trapped to deliver malicious software using the latest Java and Internet Explorer vulnerabilities, security vendor Avast said on Tuesday.
(Writer's Comment: Starting today, Bugs and Fixes will be posted biweekly each month for your convenience. You'll still be able to read the Bugs and Fixes column in the monthly print issue of PCWorld.)
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Newegg is selling a pure sine wave UPS for just $125 right now
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Nvidia's new generation of powerful GeForce GTX Battlebox PCs finally embraces AMD
- How Thunderbolt 3 won the port wars
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 360: Great for the Galaxy S8, not so much for the iPhone
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyQLD
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - VR 3D WebGLNSW
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior IT System Engineer Availability SpecialistACT
- FTSAP HANA ConsultantNSW