The news this week of Google's open-source release of the HD video codec VP8 plays into the ongoing debate over which video codec browsers can use to display high-definition video without a plug-in, such as Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight.
Google plans to acquire video and VoIP (Voice over IP) codec developer Global IP Solutions (GIPS) for approximately 421 million Norwegian kronor (US$68.2 million) in cash, the company said on Tuesday.
In an open letter to Google, the Free Software Foundation has urged Google to open source a video codec that it acquired in its purchase of On2, completed Monday.
The latest rewrite of the Web's mother tongue won't recommend the use of specific audio and video encoding formats that could make it cheaper and easier for people to distribute multimedia content.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- In Win's Winbot is a robotic interactive PC case
- Nvidia's Max-Q finally gives you GeForce GTX 1080 graphics in a thin-and-light laptop
- Launceston becomes Australia’s first gigabit city
- Power surge at British Airways data centre causes flight chaos
- Asus' affordable but powerful VivoBook Pro 15 to offer Optane Memory
PCW Evaluation Team
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCPega DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTIT Command Centre Support EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead Front-endNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesNSW
- FTSQL DBA SpecialistVIC
- CCICT Security Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- CCDeployment Manager - TelcoVIC
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- CCSAP HCM Support & Configuration ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior Sitecore Developer (.NET)QLD
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsNSW
- TPETL DeveloperNSW
- CCManaging Architect - Satellite - TelcoVIC