Western Digital delivers 1TB of storage and good security in a portable package
The latest version of the key document offering security guidance to government agencies — the Information Security Manual — has been updated to take into account the impending threat to encryption posed by quantum computing.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has indicated that the government will work with the private sector to counteract the use of encryption technologies by criminals, invoking the now-resolved standoff between Apple and the FBI over the issue.
A proposal from two senior U.S. senators would force tech companies to give technical assistance to law enforcement agencies trying to break into encrypted devices.
Security researchers have expanded and improved the three-year-old BREACH attack that exploits the HTTP compression mechanism in order to recover sensitive information such as authentication cookies from encrypted Web traffic.
The inventors of public key cryptography have won the 2015 Turing Award, just as a contentious debate kicks off in Washington over how much protection encryption should really offer.
FreeOTFE may sound like a political bumper sticker, but it stands for "Free On The Fly Encryption." The "Free" part is self-explanatory; "On The Fly Encryption" refers to the encrypting/decrypting of data as it is written to or read from your hard di...
Despite the convenience, free public Wi-Fi networks like those found in hotels, Starbucks, and McDonald's are also a serious risk when it comes to your data and personal information.
Losing your laptop can be expensive in three ways. First, you'll spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace the hardware. Second, you'll suffer the time and aggravation of restoring your data, all the while hoping you have everything backed up...
Paranoia--in small doses--is an excellent preventive medicine. If you think your business is too small to be a target for hackers, identity thieves, and similarly unsavory characters, you're dangerously underestimating the value of your business.
Yet another survey is indicating that security is a big issue for those intending to take up cloud computing.
The largest single type of security breach is the stolen or lost laptop, according to the Open Security Foundation, yet these computers are among the least protected of all IT assets. The costs of a data breach can be huge, including the loss of trad...
Whitepapers about encryption
As of September 2013, a new and vicious form of malware has been wreaking havoc. CryptoLocker belongs to a family of malware called “ransomware”, which is designed to extort money from victims by denying them access to their personal files. It targets all Windows Operating Systems, from Windows XP to Windows 8, and typically remains unnoticed by victims until it’s too late and the damage to their files is irreparable.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Huawei Watch 2 Classic Review: Good watch but a missed opportunity for Wear 2.0
- Far Cry 5's first trailer reveals religious cults and explosions in picturesque Montana
- Amazon is offering two free months of Music Unlimited to new subscribers
- This week in games: Red Dead Redemption 2 is delayed, Destiny 2 PC servers explained
- Any website can crash your Windows 7 or 8 PC with these four characters
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTChange LeadQLD
- FTSoftware TesterACT
- CCMDM DesignerVIC
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- CCSoftware & Applications Programmer/DeveloperACT
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSecurity Business AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- FTTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- TPEOI - JAVA DeveloperACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- TPLevel 2/3 Technical Service AnalystOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD