Unable to close a number of large mainframe and software deals by the end of the quarter, IBM has reported a 5 percent decline in revenue to US$23.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013.
Microsoft increased revenue across all its divisions in its third fiscal quarter, achieving an almost 20 percent revenue increase year on year.
Advanced Micro Devices reported a 31 percent drop in revenue for the first quarter as it continues to battle a weak PC market and lackluster demand for its chips.
Verizon Communications reported an increase in revenue and a double-digit spike in net income for the first quarter of 2013, compared to a year earlier, driven largely by gains in mobile customers and in revenue from its Fios service.
Nokia's sales of smartphones running Windows Phone continued to grow in the first quarter, and its net loss shrank year on year, even as overall revenue declined.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) reported that its first quarter net profit was up 18 percent year-over-year, as its revenue for the period exceeded its projections.
India's Tata Consultancy Services reported strong first quarter revenue and profit growth, despite indications that the outsourcing market is still uncertain.
Intel reported a drop in profits and revenue for the first quarter, as the biggest PC market slump in recent memory weighed on its business.
Indian outsourcer Infosys saw its profit drop even as revenue grew in the first quarter, as margins were hit by staff salary increases, and investments and acquisitions by the company in new technology areas and markets.
Just as tech stocks were starting to rise this week, dismal PC sales reports for the first quarter burst the very short-lived bubble, causing shares of IT companies to fall back to earth Thursday.
Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC reported a major decline in its first quarter profit, after the company was forced to push back the launch of its newest flagship phone to April.
Samsung Electronics expects a first-quarter operating profit of between 8.5 trillion won and 8.9 trillion won ($US7.6 billion to $US8 billion), a sharp increase of at least 49 per cent from a year earlier.
In a filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday, Dell highlighted the dismal financial straits that led to its plan to take the company private, a move that now has some major shareholders in an uproar.
Though IT trailed other sectors as market indices rose to milestone highs this quarter, some bright spots in earnings and market research reports this week indicate continuing confidence that things will go better for tech this year than in 2012.
Research In Motion Limited, now doing business as BlackBerry, shipped about 1 million BlackBerry Z10 smartphones during its fiscal fourth quarter.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Join the PC World newsletter!
- AMD, Nvidia coin mining graphics cards appear as gaming GPU shortage intensifies
- Akitio Node Cabinet review: Real, affordable graphics for your laptop
- Qantas booking systems go down after software fail
- Cadbury factory in Hobart hit as ransomware attacks Aussie businesses
- 10 supremely useful Microsoft OneNote add-ins and tools
PCW Evaluation Team
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- FTSecurity Solutions ManagerWA
- CCMaximo DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTOnsite Helpdesk TechnicianOther
- TPDemand Analysis ManagerNSW
- FTETL TesterACT
- TPHelpDesk Analyst (Access Control Team Leader)ACT
- FTSenior Agile ConsultantOther
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Security Analyst - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTOrganizational Change ManagerACT
- CCKnowledge/CSI ManagerACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCLead Technical AnalystNSW
- FTSales AssociateACT
- FTQuality Assurance Specialist | 50 p/hrOther
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst - SharepointOther
- FTDigital Designer Jnr / MidOther
- FTSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonOther
- FTJunior Java developerACT
- CCCloud Orchestration SpecialistNSW
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware Tech Lead | C++ | Trading | Market ConnectivityOther