India has become the battleground for a new generation of low-cost smartphones, with Google, Microsoft and Mozilla all hoping to lure new users onto their platforms and services.
Mozilla Foundation and chip maker Spreadtrum have partnered with two Indian vendors to launch ultra-low-cost smartphones in the next few months. Spreadtrum said the phones could cost just US$25.
The Geeksphone Revolution, an Android smartphone that buyers can easily install Mozilla's mobile OS, is now on sale in France, Germany and the U.K., and will soon reach Italy.
Mozilla and Unity Technologies are collaborating to make it easier for developers to create games that will run smoothly in a browser without plugins, thanks to technologies such as WebGL.
The newer smartphone OS entrants competing to chip away at the dominance of Android and iOS are heading to Barcelona for Mobile World Congress, and facing a landscape that has changed since last year's show.
Mozilla released 10 patches for three versions of its Firefox browser on Tuesday, five of which are considered critical and could be used to remotely install malicious code.
LG Electronics' new smartphone based on Firefox OS, the Fireweb, offers slightly better hardware specs than competing products.
Sales of the ZTE Open Firefox OS phone will start soon via eBay's stores in the U.S. and U.K.
Telefónica will be the first to offer a commercial smartphone based on Firefox OS. The Spanish operator will start selling the ZTE Open on Tuesday for €69 (US$90) with a prepaid subscription.
There could be big changes coming to the fiddly and sometimes annoying Web browsing experience on cellphones.
Mozilla previewed the first commercial build of its Firefox OS and announced several operator and smartphone rollout plans on Sunday at Mobile World Congress.
Mozilla has launched Keon and Peak, two smartphones based on the web-centric Firefox OS platform.
After helping pave the way for platform independent websites and applications, the Mozilla Foundation has set a new, and ambitious, task for itself to standardize mobile applications on the Web platform as well, according to a talk given by its chief...
A year after it pulled the plug on silent updates in Firefox 4, Mozilla said it will debut most of the behind-the-scenes feature by early next year.
Websites that accidentally distribute rogue code could find it harder to undo the damage if attackers exploit widespread browser support for HTML5 local storage and an increasing tendency for heavy users of Web apps never to close their browser.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Huawei Watch 2 Classic Review: Good watch but a missed opportunity for Wear 2.0
- Far Cry 5's first trailer reveals religious cults and explosions in picturesque Montana
- Amazon is offering two free months of Music Unlimited to new subscribers
- This week in games: Red Dead Redemption 2 is delayed, Destiny 2 PC servers explained
- Any website can crash your Windows 7 or 8 PC with these four characters
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPSolution Architect - InfrastructureQLD
- FTLooking for Software TestersACT
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTManual TesterACT
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW