Online criminals are scanning the Internet and attacking Windows 2000 machines that haven't had a recent Windows Media Service patch installed, Symantec said Wednesday.
Microsoft offers support for its products for five years and extended support for another five years. That time will soon be up for Windows 2000 (desktop and server) and Windows XP SP2: July 13 is the last day that extended support will be available.
Microsoft has re-released a buggy update that didn't properly protect some of its Windows 2000 users from a security flaw.
Microsoft took the unusual step today and skipped patching one of the vulnerabilities addressed in its monthly security update, saying that crafting a fix was "infeasible."
Mozilla Corp. is considering dropping support for Windows 2000 and the earliest versions of XP when it ships the follow-up to Firefox 3.5 in 2010, online discussions show.
Just a day after downplaying the vulnerability that caused it to issue an out-of-cycle patch last week, Microsoft late Monday warned customers that exploit code had gone public and is being used in additional attacks.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Join the PC World newsletter!
- Amazon has knocked $50 off the price of a 1TB SSD
- 10 supremely useful Microsoft OneNote add-ins and tools
- Hands-on: How the Asus ROG GX501 Zephyrus performs with Nvidia's Max-Q technology
- EU fines Google $2.72 billion, orders changes in search results
- OnePlus 5 review: This mid-range Android phone is speedy inside, but stale outside
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTSenior HFC EngineerNSW
- TPBI ConsultantNSW
- FTRecruitment Consultant - Major AccountsOther
- CCSystems Specialist - Linux / Windows / Network l Port MacquarieNSW
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- FTApplication Security ArchitectOther
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst (Cognos/TM1)Other
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTWorkforce AnalystOther
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTFinance and PeopleSoft Project ManagerOther
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer - CISCOACT
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPDevOps EngineerQLD
- TPAnalyst Program SupportVIC
- FTSystem Specialist - Network SystemsOther
- FTReporting Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- FTSenior Program AnalystOther