We have looked extensively at manipulating files on the file system. This time we will look at directories, the other major component of conventional file systems.
The PHP column 'PHP file system functions' looked at PHP functions that give developers more information about files and the file system itself. This time, we will expand on this by looking at symbolic links.
In this column, we will look at the range of functions PHP provides for interacting with the file system. At their most basic level, file systems interface storage media - generally hard disk drives - with applications. The most popular file systems ...
This buying guide will help you decipher information about inkjet printers and make your choice an easier one.
Over previous tutorials, we have occasionally made use of arrays without going into much detail about exactly what arrays should be used for, which kind of arrays are supported by PHP and the routines the language provides to simplify array usage.
Dates and time form an important part of many sophisticated PHP applications. From simply displaying the date for a user to validating dates and times in user-supplied input, PHP developers have a wealth of functions to solve all manner of problems.
The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is widely used to transfer files across networks. Utilising it in a PHP script allows you to increase the level of sophistication of your PHP scripts as well as learn more about how FTP works. Before proceeding, get t...
The PHP Extension and Application Repository (PEAR) is an open source structured library of packages for PHP developers. These packages provide routines which solve problems PHP developers regularly face: sending structured e-mail (such as an HTML at...
HTML e-mail has transformed Inernet communication from one of standard text correspondence to an environment where users may choose to send and receive messages in the same format as online Web pages.
In previous columns we investigated some basic image tips and the necessary syntax for coding an image into your Web site. This time we look in more detail at the images themselves: their properties, where you can find them, and how to optimise them ...
The focus of object orientation is the logical grouping of related variables into a generic variable - an object. Before you can create an object, however, you must create a class. A class is a template for an object. The following class, Vehicle, is...
In past columns, we have investigated the basic structure of HTML tables and their many properties. This showed you how to create basic tables and insert data, images and additional code into them.
Last time we looked at how to insert CSS into the HEAD tags of your HTML pages for formatting within an individual page. Now we show how to create a separate CSS template to link to multiple pages. This will enable you to make formatting changes onc...
Personal data stored on your computer is worth a lot more than just the hardware. Make sure you take the necessary steps to ensure you protect it.
As well as being great for generating textual content dynamically, PHP is also useful for dynamically creating images. Using a special PHP extension, we'll explore the possibilities of image creation in this column over the next few columns.
With no financial or accounting background it can be tricky for small business owners to get on top of their financials. Reckon One can help you overcome this challenge.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Far Cry 5's first trailer reveals religious cults and explosions in picturesque Montana
- Amazon is offering two free months of Music Unlimited to new subscribers
- This week in games: Red Dead Redemption 2 is delayed, Destiny 2 PC servers explained
- Any website can crash your Windows 7 or 8 PC with these four characters
- AMD's new AM4 motherboard software cures Ryzen's memory headaches
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTTest LeadACT
- FTSenior Support EngineerNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer | $90 p/hrVIC
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTData ScientistACT
- FTEnterprise Architect - Technology and StrategyQLD
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- FTSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- FTDealing Room Support Analyst - IPC voiceNSW
- CCCloud Engineer - Multiple roles - AWS/AzureVIC
- FTTRIM TrainersACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- FTData Analyst/ Reporting AnalystQLD
- FTProcurement OfficerACT